What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis hybrids?

To my knowledge, there are none.

Is this because no one has done it, or because it can't be done?

I'm not exactly sure but, I believe that it could be done.

I wonder what B. liniflora x gigantea would look like?

Im not claiming anything but i have grown the two in the same tank and ive seen seedlings here and there that resemble both speices, problem is that the seed pods form with no seeds in them. Perhaps the cross is infertile?

I've read that B gigantea and B filifolia will produce a hydrid. There is/was a very impressive photo of it on the web somewhere, although I cannot find it now. I strongly suspect that B gigantea and lamellata will hybridise. I've not tried it as my plants have yet to flower at the same time, but the following photos show how similar the two species are:
13june06028.jpg

B gigantea 'Perth Airport Site'

1stjuly06103.jpg

B lamellata 'Enneabba'.

I am also not convinced that a plant that I grow as B filifolia 'Boulk Area South of Lombadina in Dampier Penninsular' is a a true B filifolia as it is so different from the typical B filifolia. It looks like a greatly elongated B liniflora with huge flowers similar to those normally found on B filifolia. Perhaps it is of hybrid origin:
http://usera.imagecave.com/GregAllan/march06027.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/GregAllan/roridafilifolia033.jpg

Hopefully, next summer, my B filifolia typical, B filifolia 'Boulk Area', B gigantea, and B lamellata will all flower at the same time. Then I will be able to experiment.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg, if your plants do not flower all at the same time, maybe we could get some sort of pollen exchange database thing going like there is for neps, just to see what hybrids are and are not possible. I would love to see some hybrids involving aquatica...if that is even possible...time to experiment!

Back