What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken Growth Tip

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
2djrbb.jpg

When moving this plant from inside a packed terrarium of many tangled plants to my greenhouse two weeks ago, I accidentally knocked 1" off the tip of the growth point from my N. x 'Momoka'... It is insignisx merrilliana but the grower who sold it to my grew it in my conditions, highland intermediate. I got it in April and it grew well from then until now. After I broke the tip off of the growth point, it stopped growing. You can see a little divider in the growth tip -- what is that? I was thinking it might be the new leaf and the next growth tip, so I may have broken two. Why would it have stopped growing? Temperatures have been the same now as they were when I got it. What could be wrong? What can I do to help fix it? ???

Now that I think of it, it really took off during the summer at around 60F nights and it grew even better in my terrarium at 70F night and 85-90F days, that's when it put out like two new pitchers in the month I had it in there. Would it be a good idea to stick it in there for a month more to get it growing again so it can repair the growth tip? Then I can stick it back out there for winter and it can have a little grow break.

This happened to one of my neps once. It should grow back, but it will take time. I kept mine in very high humidity until I saw the new leaf coming out.

I knocked the growth tip off a plant about two month ago. Luckily I just damaged the first leaf and not the forming leaf curled inside. It appeared not to be growing for a while. It makes sense because in the time it's not growing normally, it would be opening the new leaf. I would just wait and not change the conditions because after a while, you should start to see the next leaf coming out. Looks like the "little divider" is the leaf midrib. :D

Merrillana hybrids are weird like that. Sometimes you need to do a bit of testing to see what conditions they like. Don't worry about the growth point. The plant will spit out a few broke leaves to make up for it and return to normal growth ;).

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll post updates as it grows. I hope it doesn't throw out fugly leaves, it looks so perfect as it is. :(

Back