What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Garden on NC Coast

• Thread starter jm82792
  • Start date
I now reside roughly 2 miles from the coast in North Carolina about midway--so it doesn't go below 15F in the winter, and it's usually humid enough.
There isn't salt spray from what I'm seeing but the soil is sandy...
Can't I toss together a bog garden, throw a bunch of drosera and pings in there then let it go?
It's been a solid 3 years of not growing and now that I'm away from Hawai'i now in a native (?) CP region I'd like to give it a whirl with the auction combined with a location to put said plants.

You live within the native range for a lot of the North American species so setting up a bog is a simple as picking an appropriate spot on your property to place it. Bog gardens are just large plastic tubs or thick plastic sheeting sunk into the ground and then filled with peat so it should be very simple for you to do.

I now reside roughly 2 miles from the coast in North Carolina about midway--so it doesn't go below 15F in the winter, and it's usually humid enough.
There isn't salt spray from what I'm seeing but the soil is sandy...
Can't I toss together a bog garden, throw a bunch of drosera and pings in there then let it go?
It's been a solid 3 years of not growing and now that I'm away from Hawai'i now in a native (?) CP region I'd like to give it a whirl with the auction combined with a location to put said plants.

Take a visit to Carolina Beach State Park, there you can find a surprising array of native Carnivores. Sundews, Venus flytraps and Pitchers if they haven’t all been poached, several bladderworts, etc. Quite beautiful species, all observable in a natural habitat. Currently the Utricularia inflata are blooming, and the sundews are almost flowering as well. In any case it shows you what can be grown here. The Greenswamp nature preserve is another place to check out, probably further from wherever you are thoigh

Last edited:
Back