What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blainville, QC, Canada Bog visit 2010

petmantis

ermahgerd
What an amazing experience, walking on an 8000-year-old lake covered with a thick carpet of moss, seeing native CPs in the wild...

I'm not even going to bother posting every photo, it would take me ages. Instead, here are only a few of them. This SLIDESHOW contains the entire set of photos I took.

A 30 minute walk on a dirt road to the bog site
DSC08616.jpg

In the woodland (between the dirt road and the bog site)
DSC08621.jpg

DSC08625.jpg

DSC08628.jpg

DSC08634.jpg

DSC08641.jpg

DSC08651.jpg

DSC08648.jpg

DSC08650.jpg

I spotted this near the bog entrance, but not in the bog. First CP.
DSC08655.jpg

Entering the bog...
DSC08658.jpg

Upon entry of the bog: I thought we would encounter solid ground, but no - the whole lake was covered in moss. You could literally jump on it like a trampoline, hehe.
DSC08664.jpg

A view of the bog, the entire thing was flat - almost no trees, so that the plants got maximum sunlight.
DSC08679.jpg

DSC08661.jpg

Different moss species make for a cool array of colors
DSC08767.jpg

Now this is what I call purple pitcher, either that or the contrast with the moss is cool :p
DSC08730.jpg

D. rotundifolia
DSC08723.jpg

Seedling, the moss was pulled away for the photo of how much it had overgrown the plant.
DSC08718.jpg

A bunch of cool flowers
DSC08710.jpg

Help! I'm drowning!
DSC08708.jpg

Some haven't even bloomed yet! Talk about late to the party.
DSC08706.jpg

A giant rotundifolia, puts my specimens to shame (well, so did every plant at the site, but...)
DSC08705.jpg

Nice sized clump, w/ my boot for measure
DSC08695.jpg

Lone flower :p (tiny red dot in the middle of the photo)
DSC08681.jpg

Here's what walking in it looked like (Click to see the video)

*Disclaimer: We didn't poach any plants from the site. The ones that were dug out (like S. purpurea seedlings and a D. rotundifolia) were to display the size of the plants, and were then placed back into the moss. The S. purpurea seedlings that were severely etiolated due to moss overgrowth were replanted with the rhizome much higher up, to give them a fighting chance.*

Enjoy!

Last edited:
as I said on the OCPS... WOW!!!! :O amazing plants you took pics of thar... I want to go some day. :D

Thanks for sharing!!!

wow! Absolutely wonderful, looks like you guys had a great time over there.

Edited link to the slideshow. Should now be in chronological order, automatically. Enjoy!

Back