What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Traps

• Thread starter Derrick
  • Start date
I was wondering when a trap is sealed around a bug for a day or two and then it goes black - Does the trap get any nutrients from the bug? Or does the trap have to reopen to actually mean it got fed?

Thanks

This is actually normal for VFT's. Each trap can only handle a couple of meals (which is one reason people council against over-feeding, you'll loose all your traps). The trap will absorb nutrients for a little while, but I'm not so sure what exactly when it ceases to function. When you snip off the black leaves, try to only snip off the black part. The green part you can leave because it can still do photosynthesis for the plant.

Hello,

What are you feeding your VFT?

If they are large meals, then the trap will be exhausted by the one meal, which is normal; but I don't think that it would turn black that fast. I don't know how much your plant is benefiting from only being closed a couple of days before turning black. Somewhere I read that if the insects have pooped or are heavily bacteria laden to begin with, for whatever reason, then the added bacteria, etc. will kill the trap. I heard also that if there is an appendage (leg, wing, etc.) sticking out of the trap, then the trap may not closing adequately to make a good seal to keep bacteria from growing on the trap. I'm new here, so I hate to offer advice this soon, but I've done exhausting reading both in books and in this forum and am only repeating what I heard.

Hope I helped some.

don't worrie Goldslinger u got it right

to sum things up traps go black when over feeding ocurs or when the traps get old however they will also die if part of the bug is sticking out because it will not be able to seel all the way alowing bacteria in traps will also go black if you are giving them DEAD bugs as they will not be stimulated to actually seal and eat the bug

sincerely
Kyle.W

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they are large meals, then the trap will be exhausted by the one meal, which is normal; but I don't think that it would turn black that fast.  I don't know how much your plant is benefiting from only being closed a couple of days before turning black.  Somewhere I read that if the insects have pooped or are heavily bacteria laden to begin with, for whatever reason, then the added bacteria, etc. will kill the trap. I heard also that if there is an appendage (leg, wing, etc.) sticking out of the trap, then the trap may not closing adequately to make a good seal to keep bacteria from growing on the trap[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That is what I would have said.  Also, if you feed it a beetle or a bug with a hard exoskeleton it will be harder for to digest and may die before opening again.

Back