What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

black spot! help!

hello. My newly aquired pinguicula has developed a black spot on the center of all the leafs. Also, the leafs have lost their turgency, and become soft. Please help me because I don't want it to die.

I thought it'd be good for you to know: it is in a terrarium (temp. about 21-26 C, RH 70-90%). I only water it with RO water. I bought it about 2 weeks ago, and I left it in the pot/media it came with.

I'm sorry to say, I have bad news for you. It is already dead.

Your best chance of rescue is to immediately and carefully trim off some of the live, non-rotted parts of the larger leaves, at least 1-2 cm away from the rotten areas. Place them on a dry paper towel and put them, together with the paper towel into a ziploc plastic bag and seal it (after you are sure the leaves are dry of any water and the cut edges have also dried - leaving them spread out on the paper towel before putting them in the ziploc can help ensure this). Then place the leaves/paper towel in ziploc in good light, but avoid high temperatures and direct sunlight. Mexican Pinguicula can form plantlets on their leaves other than near the basal portion (you have no basal portions that are still alive), though it usually takes longer for this to happen. After plantlets form, if they do, you can plant them and treat them as a normal grow plant.

Most often this is inspired/precipitated by high moisture/humidity, warm temperatures, and low light levels. All are conditions optimum for nematode attack.

The proper balance of plant growth factors is important to reduce this happening:
-- increase water --> increase light, air movement, and reduce temperature

Last edited:
Back