What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bical's older leaves turning red

My young bical's older lowest leaves are turning red under my T5 lights. Is this normal for them, or is it getting too intense lighting? The plant is about 10" from the fixture, which has 4 HO bulbs in it.

It shouldn't be a big deal unless the newer leaves are turning red or burning. That will be a signal that you have too much light. I have heard that N. bicalcarata does not enjoy copious amounts of light though. When I grew it, I could only provide it with relatively low lighting (three compact florescent bulbs), it grew very well for me and seemed to enjoy it. I never tried more intense lighting though.

N. bicalcarata will take all the light you care to give it indoors. I grew mine under a 400 W metal halide, their new growth will adapt to higher light (old leaves will discolor and eventually die off). The leaves on mine were thick and hard like green shoe leather and the pitchers very sturdy almost woody. They'll grow from a 4" retail plant to six feet in diameter in just 2-3 years if they are happy, so make room! LOL

Thanks for the info swords and dexenthes. The new leaves are in fact a nice deep shade of green. Only the older leaves (the ones it had when I bought it), are turning red. I am also well aware of its growth potential, and will plan on allocating more and more space to it as it grows.

Back