What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicals and Grow Lights

Hiya All-

I'm almost done with my lowland greenhouse which will house a couple of Neps, mainly a couple of raffs and bicals.

I know both species are shade loving plants, but I know many of you grow them in terrariums under grow lights when small.

But what about having a sunsystem 1000 watt growlight system in my greenhouse? Would it be alright for a shade loving nep? I was just offered a pretty good deal on a set up. Plus the heat it puts out, it will provide light and warmth at the same time.

Come to think of it, basically I'm just building an 8 x 8 x 8 terrarium. A closed system with some venting and air movment, a fogger, a grow light, and a little bit of heat.

Comments, suggestiongs, thoughts, ect?

Thanks and good growing,
Bo

I would not put a Halide or a HPS fixture in a greenhouse unless it is a type where the bulb is completely enclosed. Especially if you plan on using a misting or fogger in your greenhouse. Drops of water that get on the bulb will cause it to explode literally. Sodium and halide 1000W bulbs are expensive. Even if misting plants by hand only takes one drop. Also you will also have a ballast for said fixture and will not last long in a high humidity situation due to corrosion of electronics in ballast. I would look at some high output florescents instead. Still must be careful about getting wet but are not as touchy as HPS or Halide.

I use a mix of peatmoss, coconut coir chips and broken terracotta pieces in a 1:1:1 ratio. My plant hasn't flowered yet, but it has 3 growth points.

Back