What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better fill your cars up

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
The price of a barrel of oil has just reached a record high. Gas prices will shoot up before the weekend.
I'm sure you want to know why the price is going up. The reason is because N. Korea fired some missles that crashed into the Japan sea.
More BS from the from the oil companies that are trying to squeeze every cent from us that they can.

I just can't find the connection between N. Korea and oil production.

The oil companies have to put star wars on all of their tanks!

Even if it reaches 100 bux a barrel, I'll still drive around in my RX7 with it's whole 9mpg and refuse to get anything better or use public transportaion. Americans don't care about gas prices.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll still drive around in my RX7 with it's whole 9mpg
Please tell me that was sarcasm

Nope, its a heavily modded turbo car. And thats if I'm easy on it, it'll get around 6mpg if I really make that sucker go. Thats the price I pay for a Mazda thats faster than a Ferrari.

But I'm still better off then the idiots driveing H2's. Those get 3mpg and 1mpg when you step on the gas.

Hey Ozzy,  Aren't you glad you bought that 4x4.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

CopcarFC, Nine mpg sounds good compared to a "top fuel" dragster.

They produce 7000/8000 hp and burn nitromethane at the rate of ONE GALLON PER SECOND.  This fuel costs about $40 per gallon.  1/4 mile = 4.6 seconds x $40 = $180 per pass.
That, of course does not include the cost of a mandatory engine rebuild every one mile.

My little Thunderbird uses premium fuel and gets about 27 mpg at a steady 70 mph.  
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ July 05 2006,6:56)]I just can't find the connection between N. Korea and oil production.
While I can't / won't defend oil companies, I can provide a tiny insight into oil prices....

Think like a trader on the NYMEX ...
- would you want to be 'short'*:
- - just before the start of hurricane season?
- - with all the sabre-rattling in middle east?
- imagine what happens if Iran shuts down Strait of Hormuz ...
- - if North Korea actually blows up a nuke anywhere (even on it's own soil)?
- - truth about Saudi in-ground reserves actually gets verified/confirmed?

Although the price of oil seems insanely high to the person on the street, I've found it usually is a worthwhile exercise to put myself in the shoes of those who influence the price and try to see things from their perspective....

btw - crude oil prices are currently not correlated w/ inventories. Inventories are at multi-year highs ...

* - Quick explanation of long vs short:
- 'Long' - normal position for most people. Buy low / sell high at later date
- 'Short' - profits from a drop in price. Sell high (go short) / cover at lower price at later date (buy back contract / stock)

In general, the public is completely confused by this concept. However, traders can profit by changes in price in either direction. For additional info - lots of books/articles on topic (or Google...)

Hope this helped ...

thats why NO one in the states should buy gas for a week
cool.gif

^^That'll never happen. Even if we don't buy gas other big companys will use gas to help run there business ( truckers, mines, traines, exc. ). And after that one week everyone will go back to normal and the oil companys will just laugh at us the same way we did on the "Day without immigrants" (That was such a useless thing to do) lol

Back