What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bella and Me

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Here you go Knuckles:

Attachments

• IMG_20150723_172646.jpg
    IMG_20150723_172646.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20150723_170558.jpg
    IMG_20150723_170558.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 48
Cutie! ;) I'm talking about the bird here.

Damn!

In the wild they eat mostly the fruit of 2 species of palm tree, and the cutting down of these trees is the reason they're so critically endangered. I feed her a mix of nuts and dried fruit from the grocery store as a staple, but she also eats pretty much everything I do. The only things I eat that I don't let her have are chocolate and coffee. I limit her access to junk food and sweets, and as an fyi advocado is lethal to parrots. I personally don't like them enough to even chance having them in the house, but if you like them keep that in mind.

After reading your post I promptly began researching avocados & other lethal foods. It seems that a tiny amount is enough to react with a parakeets body. Thats some scary stuff especially after receiving a box of them just last week. I'll be sure to take a -caring for a baby- approach to this since I plant on having the bird comfortably out of its enclosure at some times. The chickens here eat pretty much anything I'm having as well... Luckily they have not yet tried any avocados.

It sounds like your bird is really loved in your home. Seeing those pics is really something. I'm researching quaker parrots at the moment as hopefully my next new family member in a few months after I get familiar with this budgy. It seems that there are a bunch out of my price range & conures may be 2 much to handle so soon after your advice. lol

Quakers are wonderful birds, excellent personality, very inexpensive. As noisy as a Conure though, and illegal in PA. They winter over here.On the list of animals you can shoot anytime, no closed season, no limit.

Last edited:
:-)) Well so much for them being any less annoying than conures. For such a common bird you would think they would be cheaper than say a cockatiel. They run anywhere from $150 to $400 here in TX so just under conures in price. Still nicely priced compared to others. The size of those 2 species is what I really like. I'm far from being ready for anything too big. If they are any less annoying than chattering sugar gliders all night long, then I shouldn't be too bothered.

Last time I checked they were about $150 from a breeder in DE, the closest place to me that they're legal. That was quite a while ago........

Just got back from a great animal breeder a few hours ago. It was a good long drive but well worth the trip. The breeder was a very intelligible elderly man whos home was dedicated to his birds & small mammals. There were multiple dwellings on the property for various breeding projects. I didn't get many pics b/c I was too busy handling his birds & talking with him. I wish I was able to get a few decent shots of the big red macaw who followed me everywhere until i let him on my shoulder. He kept trying to eat my phone so it was a no go. Some of the other macaw shots were corrupted when transferring them over to the laptop but here are a few little guys:
(bigger than most adult birds!)
S30A0027 by blu-bear, on Flickr
Loudest, & cutest, of every bird combined here:
S30A0028 by blu-bear, on Flickr
S30A0031 by blu-bear, on Flickr
S30A0030 by blu-bear, on Flickr

I ended up getting a bird for myself =) I couldn't resist so I now have 2. Pics to come shortly!

Last edited:
Cute little Blue & Golds! Was the red one a Scarlet, or a hybrid? What did you get? Inquiring minds want to know!

So cute!! :laaa: I'm jealous. What bird did you get?

Yes, it was a scarlett! I've never held a macaw or bird anything even close to that size :0o: It was pretty intimidating until the the breeder (half my size & very old) started laughing at me :-)) You must really trust your bird subrosa b/c those beaks are huge X_X. It was really friendly once on my shoulder but as you said, the feet/nails are really something.

This guy was really affectionate. Do you see the missing feathers around its chest/neck area? I could not tell if it was a youngster of plucked them himself:
S30A0035 by blu-bear, on Flickr
This 1 went insane after he was let out of the cage. Dancing & singing everywhere... he also kept coming over to the box of baby quakers, peaking in, and saying "Hello!" to them. Lol
S30A0018 by blu-bear, on Flickr

I ended up getting a cockatiel for my 21yr old baby sister & I fell in love with one of the blue baby quaker parrots :-D Ill take a few pics here in a bit when I give it some formula.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good time! Looking at the grey it's not a baby, so it's probably plucking itself. Greys are one of the species most prone to the behavior, along with Cockatoo species. It's crazy what can initiate the behavior. I knew a guy who had a Moluccan that picked every feather it could reach within a week of the owner getting moved to a different shift at work. Congratulations on the Quaker! Is it fully weaned? Do you know the sex?

I ended up getting a cockatiel for my 21yr old baby sister & I fell in love with one of the blue baby quaker parrots :-D Ill take a few pics here in a bit when I give it some formula.

Looks like your flock has doubled already!

Oh and. :pics:

Yes, I definitely had a great time =)
I could really tell that the african grey may have been attention starved. With so many birds that the breeder had to care for, I'm sure it didn't get the human attention it wanted. He also had rooms for breeding guinea pigs & rare rabbits. Here is a pic of some beautiful birds that I have never seen before. Its a bad pic, but I'm still sure that the TF Bird Expert Society will have an id :-D

S30A0021 by blu-bear, on Flickr

The mystery birds look like some morph of an Indian Ringnecked Parakeet.

Those are some really great choices. That definitely narrows it down & I had no idea where to even start. To verify, I'm going to see if I can reach the breeder b/c they were very interesting birds. The colors were much better than the pic displays & the length of the entire bird was very long. They had reddish pink patches on their breasts, blue backs & tip of wing feathers, greyish blue heads, green bodies with lime accents on wings & chest.

Princess of Wales Parakeet is the species from the breeder
He stated that they are usually considered an aviary bird but can make good pets if handled when young & with very regular handling sessions.

Last edited:
Back