What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball pythons?

Hey everyone, I think I'll be getting a ball python this winter/fall and I would like to know the basics please.

Can one live in a long 20 Gallon terrarium?

Do they ever eat anything bigger than a full sized rat?

Can I use sand for a substrate? Or should I use forest bark from Exo Terra.

those are all my question for now, if I can't have one ball python in a 20 gal I'll probly get a children's python instead.
Thanks,
Devon Blomquist

okay, well I just found out that I should NOT use sand becuase it can get stuck in their scales and cause problems, I also found out that they don't eat anything bigger then a large rat and that they have to have a terrarium long enough for them to stretch out. I have a 20 Gal that is exactly 3 feet long so I will get a male. But I didn't find out exactly the size terrarium needed for a male, I hope 20 gallon is big enough becuase I will be moving my corn into a 60 gallon and all I will have left is the 20 gallon from my corn... and I don't have enough space for another/biger terrarium... Sorry if this post was pointless... now I feel guilty. :p I should have researched first, but if I'm wrong, it would be good to be corrected. :)

I wish I had advice for you, but herps aren't my thing. Kudos on doing your own research, though - even if you didn't think to do it first. You can learn a lot more if you don't wait for people to spoon-feed information to you. There are lots of snake people on here so I'm sure some knowledgeable folks will give their opinion once they notice this post. One thing I'll say though; I suggest you use more descriptive titles. "Ball pythons?" is very general.
~Joe

ok, thanks seedjar. Since I couldn't find some more of the info I just e-mailed someone... next time I will research before posting something so easy to find on the internet.

arrrrggg! I found out that an adult male ball python needs a 40 gallon tank!!!

IDK if a male ball needs a 40G tank. Most f us use 41q tubs which (when you get down to it) is only about 10G. However the devil is in the details and the detail there is that a 41q tub has a lot more floor space that a 10G tank... So yeah, floorspace wise, you would need at least a 40G. But if you can do a tub system things are a little different.

If you are going to be keeping it in a tank then a 20G long is going to be cramped for an adult ball unless you somehow manage to get one that won't break 800-1000g. 2 of my males are in 55G tanks and the older one @ 1000g is the full length of it when stretched out. My females I have in 41q tubs but they are still under a year so they have some time before they bulk out.

As a good start point I suggest you check out the forums here:

http://ball-pythons.net/

However they can be really rough on newbies so I would really suggest you use the search function to look for answers first and then ask your questions.

wow! Thanks!

The rule of thumb I've always used is to have at least one square foot of floorspace for each foot of snake. More is always better, but this should be enough.

I don't have much experience with ball pythons but it's my understanding they are inactive animals. Look on youtube and you can see plenty of breeders keeping there snakes in pretty small tubs. You may want to think about switching the smaller terrarium out for a plastic tub, since they retain heat better than the glass. Doing this may let you get something with a little more floor space that will still fit in your room. It's all about the floor area, height isn't very necessary for the snakes happiness. At least not for a ball or corn to be happy.

My corn snake is 20 this year, and the only time shes on one of the logs is on her way back in the enclosure. All the rest of the time is spent on the ground. The new jaguar carpet python, on the other hand, only goes to the ground because thats where the hide box is. If he's awake hes on the branch, great display animal:-D

cool, thanks. I will search Jaguar carpet python on google. I don't really want to use a tub though becuase it wouldn't took as good as a glass terrarium to have a big tub sitting on my desk. Will glass still work though? That's a good rule, I will use it... that rule also tells me that my hognose snake has enough room and my corn does, but I'm still moving my corn to a 60 gallon. Thanks for your info!

You can still use glass tanks for balls but it takes a bit more attention to details as far as heating and humidity and such. Plus, you will probably want to add extra hides cause the "open" nature of a glass tank can intimidate a ball.

If it were me I would reserve the 60G for the ball but it will not need it for at least a year, until then a ball can probably handle a 20G or so.

If you are going to go for a carpet then you'd definitely want to put it in the 60G.

Back