What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Python stays on one side of the cage

About a week ago I added another hide spot on the other side of the cage for my ball python. It is a small drawer organizer that I cut one side off so he could go in. I have it buried under bark chips so it's kinda got the underground burrow type deal. On the hot side I have a hide-a-way log I bought from the pet shop. It has openings on two sides and has open room when the snake is hiding under it. It is also on top of the bark chips, not underground. The drawer organizer has not much room when it is hiding under it. I'm using a ceramic heat emitter hooked up to a thermostat for heat on the hot side and the temp is about 91F if I max it put but I like to keep it around 88F and the low side is about 78F-80F. Is the reason because it's too hot on the warm side or he feels more secure in that other hide spot? If it is I could go get another of the organizer or I see people use flower pot water dishes. What do you all think?

I also should put that before I added the second hide it would stay under the log. At this time I had a regular spot bulb on it and the temp would get into the 90's close to 100. But since I got the C.H.E. with the thermostat that has changed but he still stays there.

You're doing exactly the right thing by offering MULTIPLE hiding places. That way, the snake can decide which hide is at the right temperature, and will hide there. If the snake gets too cold, it will move to a hide near the warm end, and vice versa.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Back