What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

back from a long weekend..............pics inside

well we had to take the girls to girl scout camp down by Red Lodge, a good 6 hour drive from home but i had never been down that way so what the heck, we were within 60 miles of Yellowstone park. Jess had camp Friday,Saturday and sunday and Kate has camp from Sunday through this thursday. so we camped at a national forest campground about 10 miles from the GS camp. ive never camped in the mountains and i have to say, the nights are darn cold even at the end of June, we went to town and purchased a second sleeping bag after the first night of freezing, the nights had been in the 80's at home but it was getting down to 40 on the mountain.

the second thing i learned this weekend was it is WAYYYYYYYYY to easy to break into the shops 2003 Ford F150, yesterday at lunch when getting out of the truck, Darla asked me how much money i had, i put down the keys and dug in my pockets, gave her the total and got out of the truck without the keys, ofcourse out of habit i hit the lock button on the way out. well thank good a couple good ol' boys were having lunch and knew just who to call to help us out, gotta love small towns, when the owner of the ford dealership wasnt home they gave us the number for a guy who worked there's son and he tracked down his dad. bout 20 minutes later an lil 80ish year old guy walks into the dinner and asked where the truck was(we were the only non locals in the place) i point him twords the truck and he grabs 2 plastic wedges and a piece of 1/4 inch wire and within 2 minutes had the truck unlocked, it was the darndest thing i had seen.....i was figuring maybe $70 to get a new key made or busting a window or something. so much for newer vehicles being more burgler proof.

here are the pics, all taken within 200 yards of where we slept
6d3ecae8.jpg

342bec0c.jpg

ad5a1b49.jpg

07c6897b.jpg

now for the flowers(i forgot my field guide so i have no clue what some are)

anyone know what this is?
4f446d8c.jpg

wild geranium?
735c4f8e.jpg

vetch?
c45ad642.jpg

columbine
62c7f5a6.jpg

another i forget
cf0470a2.jpg

not sure on this one either
3fdbb1c0.jpg

there were THOUSANDS of these EVERYWHERE, i need to go back in a month
5e9e569a.jpg

44ddcca1.jpg

ofcourse im off looking for cool stuff to photograph and come back to my wife tweaking out cause a "large mean looking bug" was attacking her. i think its a longhorn beetle but ive never seen one before. it only stuck around for these two photos and than flew off, wish i could have gotten better ones
1626e898.jpg

ca68906b.jpg

I'm glad you got the truck unlocked; that could have easily been a "break-window-get-keys" type of scenario. Great pictures!

found out the top pic, its a thimbleberry, close relitive to raspberries

The last one may be a lungwort and the one previous to that is a potentilla of some kind - I think??
It looked a lovely place to stay - could you hear the water flowing from your (new) sleeping bag?

Best regards
Chris

I think the 2nd photo is a wild geranium.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 26 2006,10:07)]not sure on this one either
3fdbb1c0.jpg
That is a mountain bluebell (Mertensia ciliata.) Really common back where I used to live.

And you bug is indeed a longhorn.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and the one previous to that is a potentilla of some kind - I think??

nope, not a potentilla, iz know what those things are, sold alot of them while working at a greenhouse through high school, besides there was a potentilla blooming bout 50 feet away, just didnt get a good pic of it
smile_n_32.gif
i should know what the lil yellow flowered SOB is called ive run into it before and looked it up, going to have to break out the field giudes tonight if i dont get home to late.

Back