What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Guppies

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I bought 6 (3 males and 3 females) fancy guppies on Sunday and I should have known one of the females was pregnant because her abdomen was huge. I was looking at her earlier today and I noticed her abdomen was a lot smaller, I looked around for babies but couldn't find any. But just now I saw 2 fry (fries?lol). Do they usually give birth to only a few, or have the others been eaten already? They're cute little buggers :-D

lol, that is awesome! I think fry is for 1 or multiple like fish. (I bugs me when people say fishes XD) i think it is kinda interesting that guppies give live birth too.

I also don't like it when people say "fishes" lol. It's really neat that Guppies give birth to live fish, I didn't know fish could do that! I can't find the two babies I saw last night....I hope they weren't breakfast for the bigger ones :(

congrats, yeah ive heard fry is considered any amount of baby fish, or at least the fish ive tried breeding. yeah they could have got eaten, id put a bushy live plant in with them, say hornwort, anacharis, java moss, those help keep the babies from getting eaten

Mine usually have 25-40 fry per drop. I net them and use a fry basket to keep them safe.

I moved them to a 2.5 gallon tank and usually had them all live. (I never made a water change but they grew up pretty fast)

You can by a plastic guppy trap, which allows the fry to fall through a slit at the bottom. It's likely they ended up being eaten. Depending upon size, age, and health, they could have just a small handful to 40 or 50. Don't worry... there will be more opportunities!

What the heck am I going to do with all the babies? ??? I only have a ten gallon tank, I can't handle anymore fish.

how many fish do you have?

This has nothing to do with your problem, but.... I believe the plural of fish is fish if you are talking about a single species. I believe the plural of fish is fishes if you are talking about multiple species.

I don't like saying fishes, it just bugs me. It just doesn't sound right.

Fishes is actually a word?? I thought people were just saying it wrong, lol.

I have 6 guppies and a dwarf pleco, so I can't handle anymore fish. I noticed I still have one baby left though.

Do Chichlids eat babies?

Do Chichlids eat babies?

Cichlids eat all.

Good luck with the remaining babies. (If there are any...)

They would stand a better chance in the cichlid tank than with some of the 10 yr old kids I've met around this area. :-))

I still have 2 babies, I thought they were gone, but I found them again. They're growing well and have many places to hide from the big kids :)

Back