What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

auxins and cytokinins

Has anyone given or heard of anyone giving these to a more mature nep? Is it possible auxins would induce flowering?

Or, has anyone ever tried auxin supressors/inhibitors? Perhaps that would lead to formation of basals...

Sounds like a plant physiology lab experiment just begging to be performed. But I took that class a long time before I had a Nep, so I haven't done the experiment.

we should try it! well you should as i wouldnt have a clue on where to obtain the stuff (this is the plant hormones that make a plant flower right?
oh.gif
)

I totally wouldn't mind doing it. I looked real quick last night tho, and found that 5g of this particular mix of auxin costs $200! I wonder if anyone has some laying around...

5g of plant hormone might be way more than you would need for an experiment though, is there anywhere to by smaller charges? I'm curious, I'll check around a bit-- Why is tampering with nature so intriguing?

Yeah 5g would definitely be more than I would need. I could probably get by with a gram or less...though I'm not for sure since I've never done anything like this. The place I had looked was a biochem supply company, so I'm sure thats why 5g was the smallest size they had. I'll also ask around on campus. I work in the herbarium here and the prof that runs it has a lab, and does work with with trees in Borneo, so..hmm...perhaps he has some

rock.gif

Either way this would be a great way to get fast hybrids, and study Nepenthes genetics.

Those are standard experiments in labs for plant physiology classes, so the stuff must be available there. Ask the professor you work for to point you to whoever teaches plant physiology. Or find a grad student who has access. Don't pay for the stuff.

I did just find a cheap source though, where I can get what I need for less than $10, so that will be a last resort. If i can get 90%+ pure GA3 dissolved in some random alcohol for free...i can probably get this for free as well

You can come up with some really interesting results when playing with plant hormones.

However, I need to give my standard fare:

Do not futz with hormones. Take all neccessary precautions when handling hormones; that means equipment AND knowledge. Plant hormones can lead to some pretty nast stuff: rapid cell division/elongation is NOT something you want for yourself, so stay protected. Agent * (Agent Orange, for example) is a synthetic based off of observations of plant hormones.

Knowledge is power, but it goes both ways: The lack of knowledge is also a grand weakness, so be sure to know what you're getting yourself in to.

I'm not pointing fingers, I just want to make sure that someone doesn't run in to this haphazardly. Keep safe, and keep us posted with your results.
smile.gif

Oh I know, I have many years experience of dealing with hazardous substances, many worse than these hormones

I should have added that caution too. Labs are much safer places now that professors have to answer to campus health & safety offices, but always read and follow the directions and be careful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh I know, I have many years experience of dealing with hazardous substances, many worse than these hormones

Like I said, not pointing fingers, just a general reminder to all parties involved. Nobody is completely immune to oversight, and this may help people with less experience understand that it's something you need to learn about before playing with.
smile.gif

-edit- OK, so you've piqued my curiousity. Got any good hazardous materials stories for us? lol

Est, I totally agree. Personally, I know what I'm doing, but some people reading this may not, and even with myself, though I know how to properly handle these things, you can never, ever, be too safe.

But yeahhhhh....I've shattered a large distillation apparatus that contained such great substances as 85% HCl, and got about a step away from making chlorine gas. I've also thrown a large chunk of pure sodium and pure potassium in a pond at the school i went to my freshman year...

HCl & metalic Na are dangerous things, but generally cause their damage and you heal.  Hormones are different.  As EST said, starting rapid cell growth is something we generally want to avoid in ourselves, so be careful. 2,4-d (one of those Agent Orange components) is either a cytokinin or auxin (I forget which) and is a suspected carcinogen. If it weren't so cheap and effective, the EPA might have banned it by now.

What nepenthes are you gonna test this on?

Uhhg chemistry Im failing that class!
sad.gif

You mean they STILL use Agent Orange?! You've got to be kidding me?!

JLAP,
What do you think RoundUp is and why it's so effective. (or rather used to be until 2 years ago) I've used Cyto, Auxins, and Gibbs with no ill effects although sometimes hard to tell a difference in the plant too. Not all plants will respond much sometimes. X-mas cactus are an easy one to experiment on with Auxins, they respond very well.

Joe

I'm pretty sure Roundup isn't related to those hormones.  Agent Orange was a blend of 2,4-D & 2,4,5-T, which are related to one of them, along with some nasty dioxin that was a manufacturing by-product.

@ phissionkorps: Wow! I'd say I look forward to chemisty mischief in my future, however nowadays if a college kid throws some sodium/potassium in to a pool he's a terrorist and will have a PartyVan crawling up his back in seconds. Alas, the days of innocent mischief are gone.

@ herenorthere: Unless, of course, you want to show off your brand new TUMOR to your friends. They'll all be jealous and want one, too! lol Oh, and I believe Agent Orange is related to Auxins.

@ Roundup/AO: I don't belive Agent Orange (or any of the other Agents) are in use today. I don't believe Roundup works the same way. However, it's a pretty nasty herbicide and has some unfun chemicals in there as well!
HOWEVER: Two companies that were producing Agent Orange include Monsanto and Dow Chemicals (the fine, fine folks who brought us Napalm.) Monsanto is the company that produces Roundup, so while Agent Orange doesn't = Roundup, we've got the same great minds working behind the scenes. (As if we needed another reason to despise Monsanto, they already are pretty much the only reason I give and anti-GE agriculture people any time of day.)

For some other interesting reading, read up on some of the other Agents including Pink, Purple, Green, which had multiple TIMES the amount of dioxin poisoning goodness of Orange. YUM!
Oo.gif

BTW, Joe!! It's good to see you man! Haven't seen ya post in a long time (I remember when you said you were stopping CP.) Good to hear from you again. You lurk around here every now and then?

Back