What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asus G73JH-A1 or X1 in US

• Thread starter vraev
  • Start date

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

My 5 yr old Inspiron 9300 suddenly went black on wednesday while I was at the lab. After poking aorund a bit, I realized that the video card is fried (fan still works, as the computer boots and runs fine when video card is disabled and OS is run in standard VGA mode using the CPU to render the display.

So In the last 2 days, I have been on the lookout for nice powerful gaming laptops / macbook pro to replace this good old laptop that lasted me very well. I didn't want to get the macbook pro as it was due for upgrades soon and I was leaning towards the Alienware M17x. However, after trying to assemble a system and seeing the price rocket towards a whopping 3000$ CDN, I came to my senses and realized I can't afford that.

So I suddenly stumbled across the Asus G73JH. Its a monster of a laptop for a unbelievable price. It has a i7 quadcore CPU, 8GB RAM, 2 x 500GB 7200rpm HDD and most of all...the wicked brand new ATI HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 video card. The system is in sooo high demand that everyone is being waitlisted and the laptops seem to take on an average about a month to arrive.

SO...as I am excited (not too much :p )...and waiting....I was wondering...does anyone here have the Asus G73JH yet? As expected...apparently it comes loaded with the asus CRAP. I plan on formatting and reinstalling fresh and plain windows 7 and systematically loading required asus software on there. Anyone tried this already with their laptop?

thanks,

varun

Back