What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As the web turns

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Took this photo on my balcony last week. Gone now. Spiders are dying or packing it in it seems. Reminded me of the artwork Jen does.

I appreciate their appetite for insects but I generally dislike spiders. I have, however, always found their webs to be pretty. I find it interesting that there are so many webs of differing sizes in your picture, all within a couple inches of each other. I saw pictures somewhere of people who know how to preserve the web by framing it...Cannot recall where I saw it - I think it was on this site someplace. Thanks for sharing.

I find it interesting that there are so many webs of differing sizes in your picture, all within a couple inches of each other.

As long as sufficient food is available, cannibalism tends to be less of an issue amongst a species. Also, many of the spiderlings are able to navigate the webs of their much larger brethren without alerting the big guys of their presence. Also due to the depredations of at least one species of spider wasp, few of the large individuals could be found on my balcony.

I saw pictures somewhere of people who know how to preserve the web by framing it...Cannot recall where I saw it - I think it was on this site someplace.

Yes, it was on this site. Dragoness is the artisan.

I tried getting good shots of the basketball sized webs this year but the cams wouldnt cooperate.

For whatever reason, there was the largest population of spiders EVER this year in my neighboorhood,
but now it seems theres a mass exodus, as I cant seem to find any of them...

winter is coming

Back