What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquatic utrics

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've had U. stygia & macrohyza outside since the late spring and they have of course spread. By late summer I was dealing with some algae and picked as much as I could off. Then I split up live LFS in two trays and placed the Utrics on top. Ever since then, a summer became fall, it appears that they have both gotten smaller. Is it anything that I have done or do they decrease in mass, while form turions?

I don't grow aquatics, but I've observed Utricularia macrorhiza growing in the mountains. The plants did become smaller in late summer. Once the turions formed, the plants rotted away, and the turions sank to the bottom.

I'd say they are alright as long as turions are forming.

Brian

Thanks, Brian - and I better take a closer look. They should be little black balls?

Here's some photos of the plants (with turions) in the wild: U. macrorhiza

The turions around here were a dark color because they were covered with mud. Otherwise they should be green and firm.

Brian

If you wait long enough some will seperate from the plants and float on the surface while some will sink to the bottom. Pull out a stand and you should see balls forming at the ends. At least thats how it works in my garden.

Glenn

Back