What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appropriate lighting for a 20 gallon long

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mitch, THANK YOU for telling me about photobucket!!!!  

No problem! My pleasure
smile.gif

Great looking setup Chloroplast! You have such a diversity of plants.

smile.gif

So you have a total of 80 watts over that 20 gallon? Seems like your plants are loving it! I just got my 20 gallon long all set up with light and everything. I just have to add the plants and then I'll take a picture and post it in this thread. Hopefully my 80 watts (two 40 watt tubes) will be good for the plants I'm growing in the tank (mostly Neps).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Great looking setup Chloroplast! You have such a diversity of plants.

Thanks. There are two kinds of indoor gardeners--one type that focuses on a specific plant type (cactus, orchid, CP, etc) and others that try everything. I think I'm one of the latter!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So you have a total of 80 watts over that 20 gallon? Seems like your plants are loving it!

Yeah, I've found that 80W cool white lighting is great for that terrarium.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just got my 20 gallon long all set up with light and everything. I just have to add the plants and then I'll take a picture and post it in this thread. Hopefully my 80 watts (two 40 watt tubes) will be good for the plants I'm growing in the tank (mostly Neps).

I think 80W over that grow area is fine for neps. If you are using that 4' fixture, at some point you could put two 20gal side-by-side, and put the light-loving plants directly under the lights, and the more shade tolerant species on the sides. That way, you'd use the whole fixture.

Can't wait to see your pics.

Well I decided to keep my (slightly) more expensive lighting fixture, mostly because it has a pull chain (which I like having), it's got a nice shape to it so it sits very nicely on the tank without putting any pressure on the bulbs, and the black color matches all my other light hoods.

I received a huge shipment of plants today, so they all went into the new tank with the new lights. Here's a quick picture I took today after I got everything all situated:

CPsTuckerandbackyardpictures077.jpg

I'll be posting more pictures soon, perhaps some closeups.

Looks nice.
worthy.gif

What is that in the back left corner, that has all the flower stalks?

Thanks Gawd!

As for the plant in the back with all the flower stalks...

...it's my massive clump of  D. spatulata  
cool.gif

I actually rescued it from Home Depot about three months ago and it's been growing like gangbusters.

Looks great!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I received a huge shipment of plants today, so they all went into the new tank with the new lights.

I'm jealous. It's way to cold here to be getting plants. However, sowing seed will keep me busy till spring.

Wow, my D. spatulata puts up shorty flower stalks compaired to those.

Back