What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying pesticides. Tips, concerns, safety?

• Thread starter Dexenthes
  • Start date

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So, I am biting the bullet and I am ready to apply the two pesticides that I purchased onto my plant collection.

I have problems with thrips and mites and upon the recommendation of growers here I have Talstar Pro and Bayers Imadacloprid (sp?). I think I am ready to do this but I am nervous. I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

First of all I am just plain nervous to apply these toxins to my plants. I understand that they only work on animal tissues for the most part, but I am still apprehensive about putting poisons on my plants.

Has anyone ever experienced any negative effects to their plants when applying pesticides such as these? I'd like to hit every single plant I own, however I have a hard time trusting that it wouldn't damage the more fragile and rare plants like Drosera schizandra or D. prolifera or small Nepenthes seedlings.

What kind of concentration should I use? The Bayers says 1 tablespoon per gallon but my spray bottles are 936 ml.
My pea brain is having trouble converting those numbers. . . I was planning on using an eye dropper to add the pesticide to the bottle. The Talstar pro calls for .33 fl oz per gallon. Again, I need that to translate to a 936 ml spray bottle.

Lastly, should I repot every single plant I have? or should I apply pesticide liberally to the soil/moss? will that be sufficient? Some of my plants may certainly dislike getting repotted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help with this.

So, I am biting the bullet and I am ready to apply the two pesticides that I purchased onto my plant collection.

I have problems with thrips and mites and upon the recommendation of growers here I have Talstar Pro and Bayers Imadacloprid (sp?). I think I am ready to do this but I am nervous. I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

First of all I am just plain nervous to apply these toxins to my plants. I understand that they only work on animal tissues for the most part, but I am still apprehensive about putting poisons on my plants.

Has anyone ever experienced any negative effects to their plants when applying pesticides such as these? I'd like to hit every single plant I own, however I have a hard time trusting that it wouldn't damage the more fragile and rare plants like Drosera schizandra or D. prolifera or small Nepenthes seedlings.

What kind of concentration should I use? The Bayers says 1 tablespoon per gallon but my spray bottles are 936 ml.
My pea brain is having trouble converting those numbers. . . I was planning on using an eye dropper to add the pesticide to the bottle. The Talstar pro calls for .33 fl oz per gallon. Again, I need that to translate to a 936 ml spray bottle.

Lastly, should I repot every single plant I have? or should I apply pesticide liberally to the soil/moss? will that be sufficient? Some of my plants may certainly dislike getting repotted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help with this.

When I applied the Bayer rose poison stuff (forget exactly what) when I had dreaded meailies years ago, I just dumped it on EVERYTHING and nothing died from it. I did use gloves and a mask and had good ventilation though. I'm not sure if I'd repot because a plant stressed out by bugs might be on its last legs and if you repot, that might be it. I guess it depends on the infestation size - have pics? And you don't want to be touching anything before the poison stuff has a chance to dry too btw.

About the converting sizes - if you type into google '936ml in gallons' it'll spit out a fraction at you. Lets call that (rounded up) 0.25 of a gallon, or a quarter of a gallon. So since you have a quarter of a gallon bottle, and you need 0.33 fl oz of talstar for a whole gallon, that means you need 1/4 of 0.33 fl oz of talstar for your bottle. Since you need a tablespoon of bayer per gallon of water, you need 1/4 of a tablespoon of bayer for your bottle. I doubt anyone has a quarter of a tablespoon measuring utensil, so if you ask google to tell you how much '1/4 tablespoon in teaspoons', it spits out .75, otherwise known as 3/4 of a teaspoon. So 1/4 teaspoon 3 times of bayer into your spray bottle.

I've got some plants (normal people plants, some leafy marantas and stuff) that I got as cuttings from etsy that came with thrips, luckily on their own window in exile. I'm using just neem and it may be a losing battle. I might pull out the bayer soon if I have any left, but I think I might be down to just Sevin :cower:

Back