What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Growing Fern from Spores?

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
I posted about 8 years ago on this topic, and I felt it was worth doing so again, as there are some interesting ferns in the current AFS inventory.

The director of the American Fern Society Spore exchange is also seeking donations, particularly of ferns that they don't have. Please be generous, if you can.

For those who are not familiar with it, the AFS is $20 a year to join. Spores are then available to members at 50 cents a pack. So it's very affordable, especially given what people are asking on places like Ebay these days.

Here's a link to the spore exchange:

And the current inventory, which is huge:

For example, as of Feb. 8th, they had 5 species of Lecanopteris (ant ferns) which I believe are extremely cool, popular among many CP growers--and very expensive. Those species are available in very low numbers, and many may well be out by now.

The director of the spore exchange, Brian Aikins, is incredibly helpful, and will guide anyone who has not done this before. Again it would be nice to respond by donating spores of whatever interesting species you might have.

I bought some spores in early December. My progress so far is mixed, although I have seen signs of life in 7/10 of the species I tried. My failures, so far, are all Platyceriums (Staghorn Ferns). I have more species I still need to try.

Here are some with signs of life. Many of them I only got a few gametophytes so far (I need to try again) and a couple have contaminants such as algae or fungus (I'm not sure if either of those is ultimately problematic).

Growing from spores can be slow, but it's really a lot of fun. It doesn't take up much space. These are all grown in small condiment containers.

Platycerium 'Pumila' Feb. 28 .jpg

Elaphoglossum metallicum Feb. 28.jpg

Elaphoglossum crinitum Feb. 28.jpg

Lecanopteris luzonensis Feb. 28 2023.jpg

Davallia heterophylla Feb. 28 .jpg

Microsorum thailandicum Feb. 28 2023.jpg

Platycerium superbum Feb. 28 .jpg

That’s really awesome! Thanks for sharing. My first attempt at spores Lecanopteris sinuosa. Sown roughly one month ago.
55062210-9810-4E57-B5D5-822BE428B843.jpeg
I don’t think I see any signs of life other than algae yet though I wouldn’t know because, as I mentioned before, this is all new to me!
(I that’s a weed in the left middle just btw)

That’s really awesome! Thanks for sharing. My first attempt at spores Lecanopteris sinuosa. Sown roughly one month ago.
View attachment 11595
I don’t think I see any signs of life other than algae yet though I wouldn’t know because, as I mentioned before, this is all new to me!
(I that’s a weed in the left middle just btw)
There's something green. You could always have a ton of gametophytes (?). Or algae, or moss. I'm not sure you can distinguish so early.

The current inventory of Lecanopteris (which may or may not still be there) includes some really cool species:

Lecanopteris celebica:

Lecanopteris crustacea

Lecanopteris deparioides

Lecanopteris luzonensis

Lecanopteris mirabiiis

Elaphoglossum crinitum is really cool, as are the metallic blue species (Elaphoglossum metallicum, Microsorum thailandicum).

This is from 8 years ago. The first leaves of sporophytes (diploid) of Platycerium ridleyi are just starting to emerge. Spores were also from the AFS. 11134106_377941425727443_4121329665859448867_o.jpg

Back