What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Know The Name Of This Plant???

That is a Dorstenia a family of succulents most concentrated in Africa, Madagascar and the Middle East but what species that is I couldn't say. I've never seen one with big leaves and a thin stem like that but that's what their female flowers look like. Dorstenia have two different flowers male & female they can be on the same plant but often at different times to avoid self pollination. As each seed develops & ripens on a female flower "pad" it will blast out of the ovary up to several feet in the small species and several meters in Dorstenia gigas.

The flowers are differently shaped in many species as is much of the foliage. Do a google on Dorstenia to see what I mean - this genus is very variable but the flowers always give it away even in their most extreme forms.

Last edited:
Thanx Swords

Found it, it's Dorstenia Turneraefolia

Got it as a half dead stump about 2 years ago, but the writing washed off the tag
Was thinking the 1st name started with a T & was going nuts trying to find it

I find it odd that it's considered a succulent as it likes it moist & in the shade
But it's been growing good for me so I'm happy

Thanx Again
DC

There are I think 100 species or so of Dorstenia, some may be more succulent than others. I had one geophyte species who lived in pure dry gravel and I've been making my D. crispa and D. foetida live like that too but they are not liking it so I'll need to pot them in something a bit more water retaining.

I got it in a trade from someone a few years ago
They weren't having any luck with it so they passed it along to me
When I got it, it was a stump with one tiny leaf starting to form / I was happy to get it though because it was odd looking

I keep it under a shelf in the back of my greenhouse with my other shade loving plants
It's been doing good, but just finally started to take off this year

I remember reading about it popping seeds all over the place
That's why I was trying to look it up
It doesn't seem to be making any

Maybe I try to get another one
They seem to be more available now then they were a few years ago

Back