What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody here like to fly or own drones (or other RC stuff)?

Hey everybody just wondering if any of y'all own or like to fly any sort of quadcopters or drones(well really anything RC), and if you do post some pics and or videos you've taken with them or of them! I currently have the Blade 200 QX as well as several Proto-X's that I like to take flying, the 200 QX is an excellent all around quadcopter and despite it's small size it is extremely powerful and can carry go-pro's and FPV set-ups.

Here's a video my cousin (who is very big into RC stuff) made about it while I was in Northern Alabama last week and some footage I shot with it from some of the surrounding areas :
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p0zUY-C5My4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope y'all enjoy and post some pics of your own!

How long does the battery generally last on this one?
I was really interested in the parrot drones a couple years ago when
they came out but I never got one. Im beginning to want a couple..

Those pictures are breathtaking! I have a good friend who is doing this on a professional scale. He is making a living by providing pictures of events, natural disasters, insurance work, etc. He came to our property and took pictures one evening and they are incredible. If I can figure it out I will post some pics. really thinking of getting one myself now!! Thanks for posting this good luck.

I know someone who uses their drones to take videos and pics of sarr fields and to scout out new locations but they're on a different forum

How long does the battery generally last on this one?
I was really interested in the parrot drones a couple years ago when
they came out but I never got one. Im beginning to want a couple..

On the 200 QX (the one in the video), the battery generally lasts from 5-10 minutes, but with the go-pro attached to it, it only usually lasts less than 5 minutes (because it is not designed to carry a go-pro as you can see from the video it's a fairly small drone, but thanks to some very powerful engines it can carry one without much difficulty with a little improvising). You can get slightly better batteries for it that will last longer, or you could just go ahead and purchase the 350 QX, which is actually designed to carry a go-pro or other camera and lasts closer to 15 minutes and is much bigger.

Those pictures are breathtaking! I have a good friend who is doing this on a professional scale. He is making a living by providing pictures of events, natural disasters, insurance work, etc. He came to our property and took pictures one evening and they are incredible. If I can figure it out I will post some pics. really thinking of getting one myself now!! Thanks for posting this good luck.

Thanks! There were some great places I got to fly it at, you can't really tell from the video but that waterfall is 91 feet tall from the top, and it started pouring rain in the middle of the shoot which was a little stressful since it was about 100 ft in the air over a river! Yeah this drone is definitely not meant for filming and I'm really not even supposed to have a go-pro on it but I think it does a pretty decent job and stays fairly stable.

Last edited:
That is some nice video! I am impressed that a quad that size can carry a Go Pro. Must fly like a bullet without a camera! And small enough to fly indoors as well.

I have a Yi Zahn Tarantula and while I have enjoyed flying it I haven't installed or used the camera yet. That will be upcoming at some point in the future. I understand the camera is good quality but there are some issues with vibration. Fortunately there are also said to be cures for that.

While it's nothing as impressive as a quad-copter, camera-carrying drone, I have a couple Syma helicopters that I adore. Price has been the deciding factor in halting my progress with more advanced RC contraptions, but as something fun to zoom around with, it's hard to beat these:

The apache, after my custom paint-job. (I also took it apart and adjusted the ballast):
syma-apache.jpg

And something else. Not sure what you'd call it. The turbines on the side allow the 'copter to strafe side-to-side.
syma-sport-copter.jpg

syma-sport-copter-reverse.jpg

Last edited:
Back