What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any linux Users out there!?

When i got my mac i was left with a 80gig, 1gig ram, virus infected pc.

so I installed mandriva

then slackware
then freebsd
then solaris
then gentoo
then SuSe
then gentoo again
then i failed at installing debian
so i installed ubuntu.

I finally found the perfect distro ubuntu, a ethiopian word than means
I CANT INSTALL DEBIAN!!!

Does anyone else have linux?

It looks like OSX Lite.
smile.gif

I customized it entirely with gdesklets, I love these things!!!! I can add little applications that blend in with my background (clock, weather, rss feed, comp. monitors, traffic, osx-like docks.) And since I am a mac os x user I customized it so it looks like a mac os/linux mesh. Some people have been inspired to create a linux computer that acted and looked entirely like a mac, such as this guys screenshot!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e262/Drosophyllum/LetSGoMacIng.png

I don't have much advice for you, except do a clean Ubuntu install (IE wipe the hard drive clean, reinstall your firmware and BIOS and start from there.) From there, the documentation should answer the bulk of your questions, and you can consult their troubleshooting forums as well. Have you tried the Enlightenment windowing system? It's my favorite, I run it on rooted X11 under OS X. It's not much like Aqua, but it has its own appeal.
Best luck,
~Joe

Oh no!

I mean that I went from os to os not installed them all. I hated some so i move on to another.
laugh.gif

That was in january, now im not so noobishy at linux.

enlightenment.... it soo rarely talked about and used that Ive never given it a chance! I'l go apt-get and install it. So your a linux user or do you run enlightenment on your mac?
(I love macs as much as linux computors, Doesn't windows suck!?)

I am thinking about installing linux and running a dual boot system. I hate windows but I have certain software that won't run on linux, unless there is a windows emulator for linux that would allow you to run windows applications.

Yes, 7Santiago I run Enlightenment as the windowing manager for Apple's release of X11 on my 10.4 box. Once I get a dedicated Unix box it will likely be windowed by Enlightenment as well. Enlightenment is functional, unobtrusive, and has some very attractive skins. You should look into getting the Fink/FinkCommander package manager for your Mac, it's a nice frontend for dpkg and apt-get specializing in Mac packages of all sorts.
Ron, I would highly recommend it. POSIX systems (read: Unix, Linux, BSD, etc.) are a pleasure to operate once you understand the basics of how to manage them. They're like any good tool - they require a bit of skill and maintenance to use, but are worth the added effort. You can find lots of great help all over the web on forums and in FAQs.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ July 19 2006,8:34)]Some people have been inspired to create a linux computer that acted and looked entirely like a mac...
That's what Apple did.
smile_n_32.gif

Well, unix anyway (freebsd).

Back