What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Archer's

• Thread starter CN
  • Start date

CN

BANNED
I just wanted to show off a bow i build for my step-son. Here are a few pic's
made of Red Elm 69" 45#'s @ 28". sorry bow talk there lol . the string is made out of hemp fiber.

Picture001-9.jpg

Picture002-9.jpg

Picture003-14.jpg

Picture004-12.jpg

an we went Squirrel hunting this morning an we had a blast here are a few pic's

Picture006-12.jpg

Picture007-4.jpg

Picture008-6.jpg

Picture009-5.jpg

Picture010-5.jpg

Picture021-3.jpg

A cricket Frog
Picture022-2.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

Picture024-5.jpg

Toad
Picture025-2.jpg

Picture026-2.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture035-4.jpg

Wow that spider is HUGE!! Makes a wolf spider look like a joke haha
Cool bow though, I've always wanted to get into archery!

I don't see any photos of squirrels. Have you had success hunting them with a bow? I guess you have to be careful lining up the shot so you don't nail them onto a branch 20 ft in the air.

yes we got one but dont think it was or is appropriate to show here

define appropriate......ive posted "trophy" shots before.....but i leave out any that show unnecessary blood and the like....if the arrow decapitated the squirrel i might pass on this board.....neat entry wound, not to gory? go ahead.....ive gotten more grief here for branding pics than hunting pics.....some ppl cant seem to handle seeing where their burger comes from :D

as far as archery, ive gone through the bowhunters ed classes to be able to bowhunt big game in Montana....havent done it yet as i havent had sufficient time to practice to make me confident with a bow....have alot of irons in the fire as is.......main quarry i want with a bow though isnt deer or elk.....i want to take a paddlefish with a bow.....50-170 pound plankton eating cartilaginous fish in the Mississippi River drainage......want to take one of those with a bow more than any horned critter.....

You can get Paddlefish pups at World of Fish! Probly wouldn't be any fun shooting it in a fishtank though!

When I was a kid I had a bow that was almost as tall as I was, don't know what kind that is but I did nearly kill a friend with it. Good thing he could move fast! :D

really? short of a full blown public aquarium i can immagine keeping them.....no way you could house one as an adult......im pretty sure if i flooded my 900 square foot basement 5 foot deep i MIGHT have enough water to consider keeping one......a 65#'er can open its mouth bigger than a basketball.....

I was quite surprised to see them and had to ask what the shop was doing with them. I couldn't even believe my eyes at first, then I thought "you know they probly aren't legal either". The kid at the shop claimed they were captive bred "in some rich guys pool" but I rather doubted it cos their snouts were pretty banged up, which leads me to believe they were not used to being in aquariums. They were about 6-8" long when I saw them, very cool but how much Brine shrimp would you have to breed to feed a plankton eating 200 lb "shark" ? :scratch:

(I know not quite a shark but it gives people that impression)

as far as i know they need warm moving water to spawn....they spawn on gravel beds.....they arent going to spawn in a pond.......if they did they wouldnt be having the issues with the dams......where they are doing the best is in the Yellowstone, which i do believe is the longest undammed river in the US......

I know from wiki entry that they do move up and down rivers to spawn but I hadn't read anything on them before seeing them at the shop but I imagined it was BS cos I had seen pics of them and they can be huge, even for a pool. Aside from aquarium size I still wanna know what the shop imagines you'd feed the adults. You'd have to have at least an acre of BS ponds!

I think i will keep the pic's off this post

Not a bad idea to keep the photos to yourself. Have you made many bows and do you rough out the wood and then shorten/shave it to get the draw length and weight you're looking for? I've seen home-made bows and have wondered if people follow a recipe or if it's more of an art. I like to think it's the latter. My best friend and I bought a bow when I was in high school and he was a decent archer and I was the world's worst.

To follow the fish tangent, the only paddlefish I ever saw was dead on the ground at a fishing area below a big dam on the Pearl River in MS. It was the biggest fish I had ever seen by a wide margin and it pissed me off that someone had left such an impressive fish to die. As for shooting fish, I remember old kids with a bow shooting trout in a stream near where I lived in Michigan during early elementary school. They actually got a couple and us little ones were worried the older ones were going to catch hepatitis from the fish and wet arrows because there was a scare at the time and our moms told us to not touch the water. We had no idea what hepatitis even was and I have no idea why I still remember this ~40 years later.

Bruce....as far as someone leaving a paddlefish on the bank and wasting it.....its a very sad thing......most around here rank the white meat(there is an oily dark meat around the spinal cord that isnt to edible) as some of the best fish meat there is.....most around here will take a paddlefish steak on the grill over halibut or swordfish or any of that....it really is superb eating.......though if yah grilled up some of the darker meat around the cord you prolly would think i was full of it.....around here they are very much a prized catch for their size, some of them being bigger than pronghorn around here, but the majority of the meat is also top notch table fair.....

WOW ANY ARCHER's has turned in o a spoon bill fishing thread i will make you a paddle fish thread so you can continue..

Bruce as for your question
Have you made many bows and do you rough out the wood and then shorten/shave it to get the draw length and weight you're looking for? I've seen home-made bows and have wondered if people follow a recipe or if it's more of an art

I use a hatchet to fell the tree .i use the hatchet to rough the bow out .i Try to rough it out to within ½" of where i want it . i let the Stave (the roughed out bow) it cure (dry out ) for a few months , then i draw out what i want the bow to look like an use a Farrier's Rasp to get the bow to the lines i have marked . i then repeat the drying procees for another month..
During this time i am usally working on one or two more . Iuse white woods because they cure faster an are easier to work with not only that but there are far more variations in the wood color esspecialy with Hackberry.

Here is a link for those of you who would like to giver a shot http://www.stickbow.com/

As for how many bow's i have made. i have made almost 500 since starting in 1998.

Daren Cadue

id pay hundreds 4 that its great craftmenship
what arrows do you shoot

I do not have the Pateince to build the arrows so i buy the blank shafts an the fletching an put them all together

Do you or your son hunt larger game - turkey, deer, and so on - with bows you make?

Yes I have hunted lots of game from
Dove, frogs, rabbit, squrriel, groundhog, coyote,deer,turkey, an yes bowfishing.
This is the boys first year so he has a lot to learn.

Back