What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another funny one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
A woman walks into the downtown welfare office, trailed by 15 kids...

WOW," the social worker exclaims,"are they ALL YOURS???"

"Yep they are all mine," the flustered momma sighs, having heard that
question a thousand times before. She says, "Sit down Leroy."

All the children rush to find seats.

"Well," says the social worker, "then you must be here to sign up. I'll
need all your children's names."

"This one's my oldest - he is Leroy." "OK, and who's next?"

"Well, this one he is Leroy, also."

The social worker raises an eyebrow but continues. One by one, through the
oldest four, all boys, all named Leroy. Then she is introduced to the
eldest girl, named Leighroy!

"All right," says the caseworker. "I'm seeing a pattern here. Are they ALL
named Leroy?"

Their Momma replied,! "Well, yes-it makes it easier. When it is time to get
them out of bed and ready for school, I yell, 'Leroy!'

An' when it's time for dinner, I just yell 'Leroy!' an' they all comes
arunnin.'

An' if I need to stop the kid who's running into the street, I just yell
'Leroy' and all of them stop. It's the smartest idea I ever had, namin'
them all Leroy."

The social worker thinks this over for a bit, then wrinkles her forehead
and says tentatively, "But what if you just want ONE kid to come, and not
the whole bunch?"

"I call them by their last names."

Put your hood back on, your elite whiteness is blinding everyone. I heard a good one about, "why are black people always on welfare and the only ones overpopulating this planet, why don't they just go back to..." Oh yeah this is a carnivorous plants forum not the Grand Brotherhood of the Old South convention!

what are you talking about, dude?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 12 2006,6:05)]what are you talking about, dude?
Its obvious that the joke was about black chicks. 15 kids? All named Leroy? On welfare? It's a pretty racist joke.

goofy.jpg

Can you say "overreaction"?

i didn't think it was racist, leroy isn't a black name and any woman can have 15 kids. i know alot of white people on welfare (well not personally, but they are out there).

ever watch springer? lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i didn't think it was racist, leroy isn't a black name and any woman can have 15 kids. i know alot of white people on welfare (well not personally, but they are out there).

This's a matter of the messenger being shot. I don't think Josh considered the fact that it could be construed as racist.

Then again, we could just as easily turn around and call people who find it racists racists themselves for even thinking along those lines- See how futile the whole matter is?

Let it go, folks. Offense was not the intent. I stand by my original Goofy.

Thank you Est and Clint.  Had I known it would have been taken in offense I wouldn't have posted it.  Because a matter of fact my wife just watched a show on discovery where this Mormon couple was pregnant with number 14 or 15.  So I wasn't even thinking along those lines of it being a black or white thing.  There are big families of every color,and I choose not to even entertain the idea of the stereo type.  If everyone forgot about it the stereotype would not exist.

Can I take my hood back off and put it away now?  It's not a very good image.  Also why would I want to wear all white?  I wouldn't want to look like a giant marsh mellow.  
smile_l_32.gif

Oh and the fact that you considered Leroy a black name. It may be a stereotypical black name, but the fact of the matter is the only Leroy I know personally is an Ortho Doc I work with and he is an Older white guy.

When someone makes a possibly racist remark, I remark back in some way that- if they were just making plain fun they will laugh at mine the same as they laughed at their own, but if they were driving at something less than plain fun, they will get all defensive. I was not trying to say that anyone is a complete racist, just using my sarcasm to point out some of the subtle racisms that pervade our culture (most all of us). The nice thing about hypocrisy is it's a train we all can ride, even the most righteous. Done--

No sir.  There is a difference between kidding around and making full blown accusations. Being told to
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]your elite whiteness is blinding everyone
implies that I was being a white elitist with my white robe and hood on looking to oppress someone.  That could be farther from the truth.  When someone makes comments like that, and they do not get defended then that says I'm OK with being labeled that, and it keeps on going like that till that is my reputation, when it is not true.  I was recently accused of doing something I was not doing, and had I not defended myself I would be divorced right now.  So what makes you think I am not going to defend myself when I am accused of being in the clan??

Also obviously with only 26 posts you haven't been around much or have your head under a rock for some time Throckmoron.  This is the general discussion thread where things other than plants are discussed.  So this comment
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah this is a carnivorous plants forum not the Grand Brotherhood of the Old South convention!
just holds true to the second half of your screen name.

I agree with every post.  It's way too easy to perpetuate stereotypes, whether of black welfare mothers or of Southern white racists.  There's no doubt in my mind that the joke's about a black woman, from the downtown location, to her dialect, to that name Leroy.  We had plenty of jokes like that when I was a kid in Mississippi and we didn't analyze them or think too much about them.  I'd say we didn't think of them as being racist, but I remember we tried to never repeat them to the black kids we knew.  On the other hand, Throckmoron's "sarcasm" accuses Josh of being in the Klan.  That's a serious escalation and, like accusing someone of being a nazi or a sl ut, it's hard to take it as humor.

And here I thought it was picking on us rednecks
smile_n_32.gif
. If it was supposed to be racist, wouldn't the kids have all been named George?

see, everyone can interpret it differently.

george?

Yeah George Forman.George Foreman had 7 children -- 5 boys named George and 2 daughters, Freeda George and Georgetta.
I don't think Josh ment any harm he was telling a joke.

Jerry

George Foreman. ALL of his kids are named George. Remember the grill commercials? This dude has like 50 kids! lol!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When someone makes a possibly racist remark, I remark back in some way that- if they were just making plain fun they will laugh at mine the same as they laughed at their own, but if they were driving at something less than plain fun, they will get all defensive. I was not trying to say that anyone is a complete racist, just using my sarcasm to point out some of the subtle racisms that pervade our culture (most all of us). The nice thing about hypocrisy is it's a train we all can ride, even the most righteous. Done--

Simply for future reference, when attempting to identify intent in a case like this, avoid saying things are making accusations which will only ensure a bad outcome to the situation. A better policy would be to give the person benefit of the doubt, make your concerns known in a direct and non-confrontational manner. If you ascertain that the comment was made with malicious intent, then you can contact a moderator.

Accusing someone of being affiliated with a certain group after making a comment which could be construed any number of ways is not an acceptable policy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]george?

Like George Foreman! Named all his boys George.
laugh.gif

Amen to that JB. I wasnt thinking of a white, black, or any other race of family at all. All I was thinking is lol, lmao, rofl. Good one JB.

In the year Josh has been on he has never once, to my knowledge, made any remark that was even remotely racist. It's my experience that anyone of racist or other "antisocial" tendencies doesn't last long on this forum. They either leave on their own when they can't get others to parrot their BS or they are banned. In either case, good riddance!

when I was reading the joke I had a white chick in in my thoughts ( maybe I'm racist for not even considering the women could be another color?) and no matter what the color she was, it was a funny joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back