What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Inconvienient Truth

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
You know what i meant. not my mansion. My house... well my parents house. Cant fit all my plants in the dorms.

Not a Number, could you tell me about the green power thing? Is it like solar panels and windmills or is it from powerplants that use that sorta thing?

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power offers a green power plan - they buy electricity from green power suppliers or generate their own. Power sources are solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and/or alternative fuels. Being sunny southern California plenty of people use solar for heating (water and central) and some electricity.

Green Power Switch is offered through the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Check with your utility company for green energy options.

Living a "carbon neutral" life style doesn't mean you have to give up your standard of living. It just means not adding more CO2 into the environment that you take out of it. You can still drive your SUV as long as you make up for the CO2 emissions elsewhere, like growing CPs and donating to reforestation/conservation for instance.

For someone who is the self proclaimed "savior" of the earth, he sure does live in a large house. Just because he gets 100% of his power from green power means absoluely nothing to me. Power is power. He doesn't need a house that large. It is hipocritical regardless when he uses that much for what?? Just because he can afford it? He is a moron. You need to lead by example. He wants others to cut, but is not willing to cut himself. I am not saing move to an efficiencey apartment, but heck he doesnt need a mansion. He wants his cake and eat it too while you watch him. He still flies more than the average person. I bet he flew to accept his Oscar too. If anyone has the room to cut back it is a millionaire. He can install the systems like Bill gates has or the systems Seedjar was refuring to. Bottom line is Gore is a loon. He was when he was vice pres and still is.

Global warming is not happening like people say it is. The waether paterns may be changing due to skyscrapers being built and forests being cleared. It is changing the way the winds blow, but Pyro has a point. You cannot predict or see a trend when you do not have a baseline. Plus the data has not been recorded for long enogh to see any long term trends. For all we know these fluctuations we are seeing in our average lifetime are normal climate activity.

BTW here is a question to all the overzelous tree huggers. I mean that in a nice way guys. I do not want to see the rain forrests bulldozed either. I am just not willing to kill to stop it from happeneing like the overzelous guys are. LOL Where does most of the oxygen we breath come from??? I wil be back later to see your responces.

It is funny how back in the day we, as a people, knew the world was flat. Then we knew the earth was the center of the universe, or that man would never fly. Funny how things change as time goes on.

Funny, though, that current science is the best we have to go on. If we lived our life assuming most of what we know know turned out to be wrong, we may be correct, bit in turn we would know very little indeed.

There isnt a better alternetive than current science. Many anti global warming "facts" take science very loosely to fit the idea that we are such a small part of the world and cannot have an affect on the atmosphere. Well, they are wrong. What affect is open to debate as it is still in the early years, by an affect is happening

Finch do you realize that there is enough stored methane at the bottom of the ocean that if release would cause up to turn into an oven overnight? Or that cows release many litters of it a day, and that methane is a far more heat retentive GH gas than CO2. You are correct current science is all we have to go one, but it is not always correct. Many things are proven or dispreven all the time. Many scientists are trying to disprove E=MC2 as we speak. Science is never written in stone. Have you stopped to think about how the science of the global warming buffs may have been distorted to fit their views? And you as well as I know that if you repeat something enogh times people start to belive it.

Wikiality lmao

You realize that there is enoug carbon dioxide stored in the earth to turn it into an oven too, stored as fossil fules? That is thats whole worry.

And, second of all, there is no doubt among most reputable scientists that this in part natural. As much as the pro-global warming fan community doesnt want to beleive it, it is natural to a degree. How much? We can only speculate! You have heard the whole argument about the greenhouse effect, so i shall spare you of it. The point is, it is better to be overly cautious and turn out to be wrong than to be overly optomistic than be wrong, because once you royally screw up either way, theres no going back for several lifetimes. I dont know about you, but better safe the sorry, IMHO

Or perhas its better to say better to be safe and sorry than sorry and screwed! LMAO

I am safeer than sorry when there is a need to be alarmed. I do not see the trend everyone is worried about personaly. So do as you must. I will do what my wollet allows, but I am not going to loose sleep over it. I have much bigger things to spend my time worrying about.

If you want a solution to the CO2 delema. Figure out a way to break CO2 into its carbon and oxygen elements then it iw not threatning. It would increase O2 in the atmosphere and collet carbon everything needs anyway.

We need to setup mass diatom farms and more Kelp farms since those are the biggest scrubbers of CO2 from the atmosphere. They produce most ofthe O2 we breath anyway.

I dont know, when world experts in the feild say there is a reason to be alarmed, id listen, because no one knows more about the subject than they do. Not you. Not me

Wow bigger things than the climate of the planet, the one and only one we live on, that our children will inherit? Whats bigger than that? The payment due on the SUV? Whatever.

About those options, you make it sound like its no big deal, and easy fix. Not to mention that neither of those options you mentioned are anywhere near viable solutions. You cant break that bond without a massive amount of energy- its very strong. Where would that energy come from, I ask you? As for kelp, not so- they are confined to shallow waters and are abundant only in spotty areas. They are not the biggest producer of oxygen.

Well it's hard for me to care because I don't want kids, but I do want an SUV. If I did want kids, that's 20 years away, and the SUV is a couple of years away. It's also hard to care about something, atleast for me, when i'll be dead before it gets bad enough for me to care.

Theoretically I care! Practically I dont. No one is gonna change until it's really easy and cheap. It wont catch on until either laws are enacted to steer us in the right direction or we don't have to go out of our way to help the earth, because americans are lazy as hell and don't like to go out of our way for anything in general.

The kids thing doesnt matter if you are going to have some yourself. Dont you see the problem with that kind of veiw? Yould be dead, but before you go, what else will we take with you. 25% of the cp's?

Thats why we need laws that mandate tis kind of thing, because its too inconvenient for americans to think of anything that would jepordize their high standard of living. Cry me a river...

Woah HUH? Lol, take with me? I'm lost.

I don't want to be forced to use a crappy little flourescent lightbulb. I don't want to be forced to recycle or lower my carbon footprint. I want to do it on my own.

I convinced my parents to go out and buy a couple dozen flourescent lightbulbs. they lasted a week and went out, we got new ones, same deal. Eventually we went back to good old philips earth killers I mean incandescent. Burning strong!

Im not talking about lightbulbs. Thats not the way to do things. Lightbulbs are minor- putting cabon caps on the heaviest polluting factories is the way to go

Gaaah others arguments making sence? Understanding where your coming from?! Why does that always happen when i listen to others. gnaaaa. So shut up lol

*plugs ears

In my own world lalalalala Gerbils! Blue girbils would inhabit the world, and....

so if i dont read others arguments- i can ignore what they say! Brillant! Those political types are on to something!

*snickers* Oh guys i think i have got a screw loose or something. YES another one... :crazy:

[Humm do you think if i put enough of these smiles on, by the counterclockwise motion of their finger rotation, they can tighten mental screws? OMG but wait do they go on clockwise or counterclockwise. :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:]

Criticizing Gore for not walking the walk on energy use is like criticizing Iraq war supporters who are living fat & happy here while people die there, yet aren't willing to pay the taxes needed to fund the war. Ooops, I do criticize them too. So, although I think there's a lot to dislike in Gore the messenger, the message is real. Is it a 100% certainty? No. Is there a real risk and could it be real bad? Absolutely. Unless you're also willing to share a needle with an AIDS patient, which also doesn't carry a 100% probability of being a problem, why be so cavalier about the risk of global warming? Maybe it's just the monumental self-absorption that passes as "individualism" here. The American consumer culture must be the biggest and most destructive cult in history.

Not a Number Thanks!! It's very interesting and I need to look further into this site some more.
And Finch, I just meant I don't like that professional Politicians live in mansions, I feel it elevate's them above us turning us into Subjects(IMO), I wasn't trying to jib you or nuthin:grin:

The American consumer culture must be the biggest and most destructive cult in history.
That is a very broad statement. I don't buy that at all. I like living in the U.S.
Have you traveled and witnessed the abject poverty in the rest of the world?

The American consumer culture must be the biggest and most destructive cult in history.
That is a very broad statement. I don't buy that at all. I like living in the U.S.
Have you traveled and witnessed the widespread poverty in the rest of the world?

You know, Lauderdale, that a LOT of the crushing poverty worldwide is practically a direct product of the western cult of consumerism, right??

you havent looked at China lately have you? they are going to be kicking our arse shortly..........

Back