What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amtrak

We might take the train from CT to Chicago to Flagstaff, AZ. Has anyone ridden the Chicago to LA train and how was it? I've been on the section from Flagstaff to LA, but a lot of that's in the middle of the night. The only other long distance route I've been on was LA to Seattle, which is a great trip.

I used to ride Amtrak from Harrisburg pa to Elyria Oh all the time.

Unless you're just into riding trains that's going to be a long long long ride. The stretch in PA seemed to go on forever. It's probably cheaper to fly, but I'm sure you have your reasons to take Amtrak.

Make sure you see Horseshoe curve in PA, it's really cool. You can see a train on the other side of the mountain, then you realize it's the same train that you're on. There's a lot of nice scenery.

OMG, Last summer I stayed in flagstaff on a school field trip...That was the most awesome thing that ever happened to me in HS. I remember going to the grand canyon, meteor crater, the petrified forest...and all my friends were there...and then every night we went in the hot tub and talked about life...and now I'm graduating in three months and high school will be nothing but memories:-( lol sorry, the mere mention of flagstaff gets me all emotional.

well your trip sounds awesome, arizona rules...
...hey be sure to go to a place called slide rock. It's this shallow river with slippery rocks that you can slide down... but be carefull there cause if your not the rocks will rip your swimming suit, happened to me in front of my class, lol

have fun!

Flagstaff is nice and, if someone forced me to move there, I'd start packing right away to go. It has some truly amazing things within an hour or two and, even though tourists must outnumber residents by a rate unseen outside of Disney World, it's fairly sane. But we'll probably only spend the night there before heading down to my parents near Phoenix. We'll be off the train for a day+ in Chicago and maybe three in New Mexico (the real Las Vegas) before reaching Flagstaff ~ 6 days after we started. Flying round trip to Phoenix would be cheaper and much faster, but I've never been through the Plains and also want to spend a little time in NM. I just started looking at hotel prices near Chicago's Union Station and must say I'm reconsidering the free day in Chicago.

Ozzy - is the horseshoe curve the famous one near Altoona? We won't be going that way this time, but it's a route I want to ride some day.

Yeah I think it's near altoona, and yes it's pretty famous. Here's a good site about it.

http://www.parailways.com/allaboard/horseshoecurve.html

I just assume that you would be going through PA. Since you were going from conn. to Chicago. I guess that you'll be taking the track through NY. You should make a stop near Tamlin.

Sounds like a fun trip, I'd like to take a trip like that one day.

That's it. I keep putting off a train trip to Pittsburgh and have seen that spot mentioned a lot. I can keep myself amused for long trips, but worry about the southwest trip from Chicago because I can see my princess daughter getting bored by the scenery halfway through Iowa and then griping for many, many hours. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to throw someone from today's passenger trains.

Back