What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphaphallis titanum (sp?)

Does anyone know if seeds for this plant are available anywhere?

The cheapest I have seen a small plant go for is $39.99.

I guess I'm looking for a cheaper source and I am willing to wait the ten years from seed to bloom.

Thanks
Glenn

Those small plants you mention are most often first year seedlings so whether you start with seed or the seedling you'll have the same wait. Just score one off ebay doubt you'll come across anything much cheaper than what you mention, that's what I paid for mine. It was a small price to pay for what is sure to be one of my most treasured botanicals. I've paid many times more for plants who's blooms, however magnificent will never rival a mature Amorphophallus titanum (correct spelling) if I don't kill it before then.

I recently saw 5 A. titanum seeds for the typical $39.99 price but they're coming from the UK and there's a slim chance customs could sieze it. Since if they were to inspect it, the packet would not be accompanied by a proper phytosantiary ticket which is required on ALL seed imports. Better to buy a live plant already here in the states. You'll be glad you did!
smile.gif

I currently have a number of seeds from several species of Amorphophallus "germinating" but no signs of life from them yet. Other exotics which were planted at the same time (rare arisemas, aristolochias, etc) have already started coming up.

Amorphophallus propagate easily from leaf cuttings, the same way as begonias, so if you know someone with a plant, it is easy to get plantlets.

You're welcome. I was in a Miscellaneous Plants / Google state of mind!
smile.gif

Back