What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alkaline media for P. gigantea?

Do any of you growing Pinguicula gigantea use dolomite/coral/eggshells in your media? Does P. gigantea benefit from an alkaline media?

Using a basic media, or one containing a large component of a calcium bearing media component, such as gypsum (which is neutral, or nearly so, in pH). Seems entirely unnecessary for Pinguicula gigantea, in my experience. I've grown hundreds, including some from seed, with various media, usually combinations of various inert mineral ingredients. I've grown some exceptionally large specimens, that were grown in no media at all, simply lying in shallow plastic or ceramic containers, where I frequently added water and nutrients.

Last edited:
the post above is probably right gigantae is usually found on mineral cliffs and what not. apparently it makes them grow stronger roots but grow slower, probably because less water and nitrogen in the roots than there is in peat but idk. calcium doesnt seem to come up anywhere when reading about gigantae. imo could try to grow it in a rocky media for a while like sand and lavarock with maybe a small amount s aps or peat then repot once it has a strong root system to a mix of 1 part peat (or aquasoil) 1 part lava rocks 2 parts sand or perlite. thats what I do with my pings that like it airy. downside is rocky soil is a nightmare to keep moist in the summer, and its very hard to keep it from being too wet also but luckily if you stay on the drier side the plants act better . unless ofc you grow the ping on a rock that absorbs water, like tufa for calciphilious pings , and weathered granite or sometimes lavarock if the holes are small enough for the rest who dont need calcium (gigantae). then you can set the rock in some water and put the pings on top and they will root. this is the easiest way to grow mexican pings imo you just have to find a safe rock
p.s laying leafs on one of these rocks is also a great way to make ping cuttings that dont rot so easily

Last edited:
I dont have this species on my collection, but i've got some other species of mexican pinguiculas...
I try a lot of different media to make them grow... Finally after few experiences, i make actually grow all my pings in a media 100% perlite and i'm very happy for the results...
I use tap water and during summer time, i give drosophiles to my plants...
I just have one matter with perlite, because it's going dry very fast... so in summer, i put them in one centimeter water and no matters :)

I use a mix of finely crushed coral, normal crushed coral, very little peat, pumice, beach sand, and perlite. Mexipings tend to like dryer/ more mineral mixes more imo and ime:) Although 1 part peat, 1 part pumice/perlite, and 1 part sand will do a Mexiping happy.

Bonjour

I use for gigantea but also a lot of mexican and temperate this substrat with very good result

-cat litier 50% with some time akadama( bonzai clay)
-river sand 12.5%
-vermiculite 12.5%
-oolithe calcareous sand 12.5%
-pouzzolane 12.5% (volcanic rock)

for this specie I have often a plant to 40-50cm in diameter

I have also try this specie in hydropony just with rockwool .

jeff

I use a combination of perlite, egg shells, and sand. That seems to work well enough. Joseph Clemens once suggested using crushed coral. It has also been suggested to use a little iron oxide (rust). APS is another medium. I wasn't happy with the results, though.

Back