What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aldrovanda

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]TIG, dont sign up just to harass the newbies, its not a good practice
AMEN BROTHA!
alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ July 02 2006,11:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]TIG, dont sign up just to harass the newbies, its not a good practice
AMEN BROTHA!
alex
Yeesh! give it a break! your the most childish person in the cp community.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is some on the plants, I took it off manually, but it would be nice if something could prevent it from growing there altogether
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote  
Hey guys I hate to interrupt this drama...
but I still need a way to get rid of algae. Aldrovanda's doing great but theres little algae forming

A ph of 6-6.5 will keep the Aldrovanda happy and slow the algae down,put water plants such as lilly pads in the tank to soak up any excess nutrients that cause algae to grow.
Also put pond snails in the tank and they shall eat the algae.

Good luck!
You have the ansers just look for them,pond snails eat algae.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]when LFS decays under water it lets off CO2 as with any other decaying organism. just somthing i learned in Biology class

You don't even need to wait for decomposition- plants create O2 during photosynthesis (the process of making food) but they USE O2 and produce CO2 during respiration (the process of using the food!) So just having a plant underwater will have an effect on the O2 and CO2 levels.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]... Aldrovanda vesiculosa is quite a hard species to grow, giving 2nd hand advice thats usually wrong really ticks people off! especially when it could kill the plant.

Welcome to the TF community. I hate to welcome you with reprimand, but this is not an appropriate comment. We hear at terra forums maintain a level of courtast for ALL members, new and veteran, experienced and unexperienced, old and young.

Alex, as he has expressed he would like to be known as, has done nothing but help and contribute accurate information to the best of his knowledge. We do not appreciate the excessive heckling of members who are simply trying to be helpful in a constructive manner. Alex made no comment with the intent (or possablity at that) of harming any plants, but merely added in a helpful comment about a general biological phenomena. Fact is fact.

TIG, please be more considerate of all members on this forum and if someone posts incorrect information, then address it in a respectful manner. If you have further problems with a member(s), then feel free to contact a moderator.

And now we can drop it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but I still need a way to get rid of algae. Aldrovanda's doing great but theres little algae forming

Good luck with your plants! There appears to be information here as to the control of algae. I can't offer much more than the advice to physically remove what you can see on the plant. A little slime mold could actually do your water ecosystem good! You can always check google for practices which discourage the establishment of algol colonies.

OOOOKKKK. Enough of that. There will be no more personal attacks in this thread. Everyone here has a right to express their thoughts and ideas. It is everyone's right to consider the advice or ignore it. There is no need for the rude comments.

The rule of this forum is "BE NICE". Please continue discussing this topic in a respectful manner. If you can't do that, don't post.

i think theres a grass that inhibits algea as it decomposes.

I'll look into the grass.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You have the ansers just look for them,pond snails eat algae.

Pond snails also sometimes eat plants, though I think there's some that don't, but I dunno what that species would be. I did have some snails with my old utrics and they ate them.

Manual removal seems to be working for the moment.

maby some reeds or small growing cattail like grasses.
Alex

barley straw is what your thinking of that prevents algea

I posted a long and detailed contribution to an Aldrovanda thread on here a while back, but all the old threads seem to have been deleted now
smile_h_32.gif

Anyway, the basic content of what I wrote is still available here, and there are some pictures of my plants and their flowers here.

Best wishes.

Barley straw decomposes and then releases H202 in smalls amounts which prevents algae from growing...so the old cells are not replaced and the algae dissapears. Well, at least thats how it is supposed to work!

Back