What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelae gone wild, need help with "trimming"

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I have way too many "babies" from this plant and some are coming out from the bottom of the pot as you can tell from the pic. What is the best way to go about getting rid of the overcrowdedness? Can I cut from any point on the offshoots or would that be harmful? I know adelae is a tough plant but I don't want to hurt the growth that I leave in the pot...

I guess I may be throwing these up in the trading post section if anyone is looking for some LOL

Just snip 'em off at the drain holes. If the mother plants are putting out runners like you won't hurt the mothers :D

Can I do the same for some of them actually growing out of the top (like they are supposed to lol)? I don't want those to get too crowded either...

Sure, just leave a few inches of the runner attached to the pup - it will supply some nutrients or act as a root until it get rooted. I've seen pots and trays jammed packed with D. adelae. I don't think they mind crowding all that much.

Thanks!

I've seen pots and trays jammed packed with D. adelae. I don't think they mind crowding all that much.
I just divided a plant that grew for more than 4 years and I haven't seen the pot for at least 2.5 years. Your pot has a long way to go before it gets really overcrowded & unhappy (mine wasn't unhappy when I repotted).

Good to know, thanks!

I'm going to wait and see how the plants respond before putting them up for sase/trade. I'll keep you in mind though.

This my "tray of Adelae". As each plant in the tray dies, I cut it out. Last year I cut out about one quarter of these plants. New plants grew into the empty spaces fairly quickly. This way I have a never ending "tray of Adelae"!
I do the same thing with smaller pots of them.

TrayofAdelae-1.jpg

Aldelae goes crazy for me too. I had a 2.5" (yep you heard right) pot filled to the brim with 3 mature plants, and at least ten younger plants.

I actually started with 3 larger plants last summer...eventually they started to die out one by one and then these little guys started popping up everywhere!

The "trimmings" are still adjusting, some are doing better than others though.

Back