What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaaaarrrggg!!!!!

• Thread starter JayJay
  • Start date
AAAARRRGG!!! Bloody birds Stealing my spahgnum moss!!! Took a whole tray of red moss, now I only have a few string of red moss left. Dang birds took another half a tray when I left, I came back to find it missing. I had 2 and a half trays, now I only 1 tray 1 tray! How do I keep the birds from robbing my moss? I have a BB gun if it helps.

Thank god for the word filter huh? Saved me alot time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your loss man! AAARRRGGG!!!
One option would be to put screen or chicken wire around them. Maybe build a small frame of wood or pvc to put the screen over.

Yeah, I had a similar experience myself; I had some heavy losses on my red Aldrovanda over the winter and was reduced to just a few strands of each of the Australian forms. In April, I put them in net baskets out in the Aldrovanda pond. The next day, I found most of the baskets turned over sideways and the Aldrovanda scattered out in the open water, with several of them missing; and wondered what caused that.

I gathered up what I had left, put them back in the net baskets, and as I watched from the embankment, I saw a big blue jay swoop down onto one of the baskets, pull out one of the red Aldrovanda strands, and fly off with perhaps the most exotic bit of nesting material in this country, kicking the basket over sideways to boot. D'Oh! Hmmm, bummer! :-O Oh well, at least nesting season is over now.

Earlier, some robins kept pulling out LFS from some of my Dros pots, so I put a wire cage over them. - Rich

Buy a cat !!^^

Mine is rather strong, it likes returning them to me

I hate the word filter lol. Wish there was an unfiltered, password protected area for those over 18. Or green members. Or green members over 18.

Cayenne pepper.

Ohhh, thats so freaking frustrating!!!!

Today I had squirrel damage to some seedling VFTs, and to very tiny D. filiformis seedlings. I hope they make it.

I think the Cayenne helps like Clint said. I sprinkle it all over anything exposed. I buy it at Ocean State Job Lots - it's like 88 cents for a 4 inch tall bottle.

I'd love a cat but my parents are all like " Ugh, cats are selfish and only come home when they are hungry", I beg to differ. How about an electric fence? By the way, I don't want to kill off the birds, I put food out, for them, bird baths and everything. I may have saved myself a couple of hundred emails by mentioning that.

Buy a cat !!^^

Mine is rather strong, it likes returning them to me

I have a mental image of the cat in the Pepe LePew cartoon.

200px-Penelope3.jpg

Seriously, I have had my minibogs ripped to shreds by critters and have tried putting them in some sort of caging. Seems a shame to have one's collection in a cage, though. Maybe go with the cayenne or have marigolds or other critter repelling plants around. But that also may defeat the purpose of catching bugs?

Back