What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Thought for the Up-and-Coming 2009 NASC Auction

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So, as you may or may not have noticed, during the last major forum revamping (not this very recent one), we were blessed with the world of tagged threads. I think the NASC auction would be a perfect time to put tags to good use. I got the idea from a recent flickr contest where all the photos were tagged with "laphotocontest09" and then more specifically by theme. Perhaps the folks at NASC could do with a standardized tagging system to bring order to this year's auction. Tags that come to mind immediately are:

freeshipping
internationalshipping
multipleplants
noncarnivorous
nonplant
meatinacan (might get limited use)
temperateplants
tropicalplants
beginnerplants
expertplants
nepenthesbasal
nepenthescutting
nepentheshybrid
nepenthesspecies
nepenthesseeds
(and so on for other plant genuses)

Also, it might be possible to update thread bidding amounts (in dollars)
>20
>50
>100
savingsdestroyer

Of course, with the massive amount of auctions, the moderators could hardly do this on their own. The tag bank would simply be an option available to the more attentive (and probably attractive :D) auction posters. It's just an idea to think about, it wouldn't necessarily have to be as specific as I made it out to be, but I think it could be implemented in at least a small form. Of course, the mods probably already had this idea and either thought it sucked or thought it rocked and didn't tell anyone yet. Thanks for listening anyway.

-Jason

Hi Jason - this is a great idea. My only suggestion would be to include NASC at the beginning of each tag:

NASC Nepenthes
NASC Sarracenia
NASC >$50
NASC Multiple Plants

etc.

This would be a pretty big undertaking, but I think if started with some clear guidelines the original poster could tag it appropriately and then the only tag that would need to be updated or deleted would be the price.

Good suggestion!

xvart.

Absolutely nothing to add but.....

Also, it might be possible to update thread bidding amounts (in dollars)
>20
>50
>100
savingsdestroyer

-Jason

savingsdestroyer
:-))

:scratch:

If I knew what all that meant, I'd probably think its a good idea. :-))

Haha, PAK. Let me give an example. Let's say you're a cheap *******, like me. You might want nepenthes cuttings and free shipping. so you could tag search "nascfreeshipping" and "nascnepenthescuttings" and all the nepenthes cutting auctions with free shipping would come up.

Or, perhaps you want drosera, but only temperate drosera. If you search temperate drosera normally, you might miss an auction where the lister just didn't think to put "temperate" in their auction text. With tags, you could search "nascdrosera" and "nasctemperate" and be sure you see all the temperate drosera listings.

How specific they'd get is up to you all, but I think we could easily do genus tagging, seed vs. live tagging, and growing climate tagging to start out with.

Would be happy to include something along these lines in the rules. This goes along the lines of a previous discussion involving title changes for people willing/able to do intl. shipping.

In large part this would need to be done by the people listing items. Having the mods do all the editing would be a daunting task at best. Hopefully we can implement this to help people narrow down certain terms. I myself still love browsing through the topics to find the deals that have managed to keep under the radar. ;)

so you could tag search "nascfreeshipping" and "nascnepenthescuttings" and all the nepenthes cutting auctions with free shipping would come up.

The only problem is that vBulletin does not have the capacity to search by multiple tags... yet. However, if properly tagged with a NASC at the beginning of each tag would get a pretty good field with which to search from there.

xvart.

How about NO PMs to the person offering the item{s] before the Auction is closed .Such as if I win the item what are my choices? Can you sell me one of these plants cheap because i'm a kid, poor, out of funds? etc

Lois...if you get PMs like that...you SHOULDN'T. Please let any mod know if you get PMs along those lines. NOBODY here should be begging for "cheap" plants from anybody...it's against the rules. But if no one tells us that is happening, we can't take care it.

I'll try to remember to add that to the rules. Thanks for mentioning that.

Oh...and thanks for the tagging explanation...but that would be left up to the lister. We can encourage tagging.

Back