What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A pretty cunning hat, dontcha think? How crafty are you?

So my domesticity skills rank up there pretty low, somewhere around nonexistent and Martha Stuart in a coma (although for some reason I fear/bet she would still find a way to do something artsy while laying unconscious in a hospital bed utilizing her own saliva and shedd skin…) but I have found something I can knit…horrendously ugly hats!

….Err I mean pretty cunning and shiny hats, dong ma?
Anybody else fans of Firefly? If not then pass this post off as some psychotic chick with an ugly fetish for ear flaps, pom-poms and god-awful color schemes.

For those of you who do know what the heck I am referring to my sister and a co-worker loved that show and I figured I may as well try to make a replica Jayne Cobb Cunning Hat for us/them and ta-da…This. Pretty sweet huh? I can also make a pretty mean bunny hat with ears too when I am feeling more crafty than cunning.
I kinda think it is fun trying to reverse engineer hats…that was how the bunny hat came up, my sister NEEDED one for a friend but they were on backorder so good ‘ol big sis Evin actually came in useful for something for a change…

So what crafty things are other people into? I also like jewelry making with seedbeads and am working on trying out lampworking with my torch and LOVED metalworking when I had access to the appropriate tools/supplies/soldering supplies in high school but haven’t worked on much of it since.

Ohh and all you Firefly fans lemme know I’m not alone. I love schizophrenic topics so why not post a bunch of pics of other things I made too?

jaynecobbhat.jpg

100_0728.jpg

100_0450.jpg

100_0731.jpg

daisey-1.jpg

100_0739.jpg

Here’s something I figured to tag on as an afterthought…Anyways it is amazing how you get on a roll making things and don’t realize until you stop and look and go…oh, I sorta have nearly half a dozen more than I needed….hehehe. SO yeah, if anybody here is/knows a firefly fan who would like a pretty cunning hat just lemme know and I can help you out. I didn’t put this in the trading forum because that would be rather weird but…if you want a cunning hat I would love some square plastic 2-2.5 inch square (o.K. I guess CUBIC pots…)I used some this summer for growing out Arabidopsis seedlings at the lab I was at for a bit and now I am obsessed about those cute little pots but can’t find them anywhere for sale not in giant bulk for nurseries. If you know someone who would appreciate a hat let me know, I really should get rid of some of them

Ohh and all you Firefly fans lemme know I’m not alone. I love schizophrenic topics so why not post a bunch of pics of other things I made too?

Oh yeah, I loved that show. I LOVE the hat! Definitely got a chuckle out of me. :D

Those necklaces are pretty awesome too! I think you're selling yourself short- you'd definitely put ComaMartha to shame.

As for being crafty myself, I'm severely lacking. A can whip up a mean box of macaroni, but that's about it at this point. :p OH! Though, when I get a minute alone with a bunsen burner and a couple of spare glass pipets I do enjoy making sculptures as well as some useful / innovative lab tools.

The ring is awesome! I tried making rock jewelry with wire wraps before, still have some of those pendants somewhere.
The other stuff is cool as well, just too small / time consuming for me and my big clumsy hands to try! :)

Myself I'm a figure sculptor. I like trying my hand at all kinds of subjects http://www.toyriot.com/gallery.htm
Although dark fantasy & sci-fi are my favorite subjects to work in but Cartoons are great fun to do too giving me that nostalgic feeling.

I'm also lately working on digital drawing & painting with a Wacom pen tablet in Photoshop instead of on traditional paper. This doesn't mean doing simple photo manipulations like magazine layouts (which I used to do) but using photoshop as a paint program but with better options than any of the painting programs out there. My paintings and non-commercial oriented sculpture work will be at a new site called NecromaticArts.com which will be up in the new year. It should be plenty weird... lol! ;)

I loved that show. I hope no one gets a dead body in the mail along with their cunning hat. LOL.

As for crafts I dont know if I do any crafts. I occasionally try sketching but I am not very good at that. Flint Knapping is another "art" I am trying to learn but I am no where near the skill to make something that is pretty and looks crafty.

That bead work must take forever.

Swords what do you use for your sculpting?

Firefly was kewl! I was... disappointed when they cut it :(
Lol yeah, the hat caused me to smile too :)

I can crochet, but it takes me forever to actually make anything. I made a hat once, but with weird colors.

That's really cool! The only thing I can do is knit...and the best thing I can make are probably socks. And not very good ones. I have made some pretty good scarves, though.

Ktulu,

I use Super Sculpey polymer clay (I will abbreviate as SS) most of the time because it's fast from start to finish and easy to use, no molding or switching mediums partway through. You start with SS, bake the SS and then paint the SS. You can get 1lb boxes of SS (NOT the plain white "sculpey") at almost any craft store. (Michaels, Jo Ann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby) I mix it with black and white Premo color clay cubes so the final clay color is gray . This mixture lets you see details way better than the natural beige color of SS and it changes the baked SS so it's not as brittle as plain baked SS.

When I worked at the toy studio downtown we'd start a project with a clay sketch in Industrial Styling Clay (what the auto makers prototype cars out of - I hate this type of clay) then make a silicone mold, make a casting of the clay sketch in the studios proprietary toy wax recipe for detailing, articulation (movement), etc. This is a wax that's hard like a plastic and has to be carved/ worked with heated tools. Then when it's done make another mold of the finished piece and make a urethane resin copy so we can paint it and show the client. The wax method has a lot of extra steps which cost a lot and only make sense if you're getting $1000 an inch from a big customer.

If you're interested in getting started with Super Sculpey PM or Email me and I'll give you the lowdown on proper techniques to get you using Super Sculpey easily and (hopefully) not get frustrated.

Man wears a hat like that, you know he's not afraid of anything.

I've owned one myself for a while. Nice job!

Ooh, clay is fun. I tried making a little ocarina thing out of clay, it made sound but I never baked it so it kind of dissolved.

Back