What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A guide on how to make a glueless/tapeless seed envelope.

Here's a guide to making a folded, non-glue or tape, seed envelope. The construction can take a fair bit of abuse without falling apart. It also has the advantage of being customisable to the size required, within reason. I cannot take the credit for this as I believe that this design has been used on spice markets for a very long time. I recommend that you practice making an empty one first, prior to making one containing seed.

1. Place a square or rectangular sheet of paper on a flat surface. For the purpose of this guide I have used a square note (9cm x 9cm) which is a good size for small seeds:

pic1.jpg

2. Fold the paper approximately 1cm from below the centre line, to allow for a 1cm flap at the top:

pic2.jpg

3. Fold the flap at the top down:

pic3.jpg

4. Turn the paper over, so that the flap is now facing the table, at the top:

pic4.jpg

5. Fold the top right corner down diagonally to form a triangle:

pic5.jpg

6. Fold the bottom right corner up diagonally to form another triangle:

pic6.jpg

7. Tuck the bottom right corner triangle under the flap:

pic7.jpg

8. Write the seed name on the opposite side of the envelope.

9. Add seeds to the open (left) end:

pic8.jpg

10. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 but for the left corners.

pic9.jpg
pic10.jpg

11. This final step isn't really necessary for the integrity of the envelope, but it tidies things up a little. Fold the little outwards facing triangles, which have formed at the bottom of the flap, underneath the flap:

pic11.jpg

11. Voilà:

pic12.jpg

Very nice! I will use this next time I send seeds... if I ever do. :p Thanks for the tips!

I only use this to store already made packets out of wax paper. I believe these packets (http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/Packet.htm) are more practical, since they can be used to hold a specific amount of seed (eg 25 seeds each, whatever if you want to do SASE) and you can see the seed inside through the transparent wax paper. However, thanks for sharing that method, Mobile!

I've never had a problem with gaps. You can use wax paper with any of these methods. As well as regular paper with the bindle method.

And there is always the pharmaceutical fold.

Wickedthistle also had a how to topic a few years ago.

Back