What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few shot of my collection

Hello everyone! Here is some of my plants hope you like.

Cephalotus
36318581883_0175d5f7b6_z.jpg

D. capensis wide leaf
36296081114_2231c0d24e_z.jpg

D. sessilifolia
36318847673_29937410e0_z.jpg

D.Burmannii
36296301934_814e9d51ed_z.jpg

D.Pulchella
33495804192_46634dfa1e_z.jpg

U.Longifolia
36990430331_57a1b9c8cc_z.jpg

U.Fulva
36296553104_a26350d9a6_z.jpg

U.Lavida
36735078640_89bee0c75b_z.jpg

U.Calycifida
36735218000_dd87271ccc_z.jpg

U.Sandersonii
36981473671_db86533a41_z.jpg

N.Ventricosa ?
36310475133_890928f44f_z.jpg

N.Lady Luck
36765232261_abc8b9c8b4_z.jpg

p. gigantea(just came in today)
36318409873_e56dd7a1b2_z.jpg

p. esseriana
36960621822_de7b366b84_z.jpg

Last edited:
I think your burmannii might be sessilifolia.

Other than that nice collection.

Last edited:
I think your burmannii might be sessilifolia.

Other than that nice collection.

They came marked as Burmannii however I couldn't see any difference in the two pots. I thought it was just one of those things you had to count this and mesher that.

But thank you.

The plants now marked as sessilifolia I'd bet are at best hybrids, considering the leaf shape they have; I'm rather suspicious of most of the plants labeled as such however in cultivation, since there are known burmannii hybrids and sessilifolia collections have been sporadic at best.
Also, you have U. sandersonii labeled as U. sessilifolia (which doesn't exist).

The plants now marked as sessilifolia I'd bet are at best hybrids, considering the leaf shape they have; I'm rather suspicious of most of the plants labeled as such however in cultivation, since there are known burmannii hybrids and sessilifolia collections have been sporadic at best.
Also, you have U. sandersonii labeled as U. sessilifolia (which doesn't exist).

Thanks for the info on the sundews and now I'm a bit embarrassed on such a bad tipeo. Thanks for pointing it out.

You have a nice collection of Utricularia!

I think that your Nepenthes "ventricosa" is actually a ventrata, but close enough! They do start with "V"

I think that your Nepenthes "ventricosa" is actually a ventrata, but close enough! They do start with "V"

You may be right. I was from Lows and had no I.D . It's my first Nep and Ventricosa was the consensus when I got it but that was awhile back before the bigger pitches.

It's ventricosa, not ventrata. You do not get pitchers like that on any ventrata, nor leaves that linear.

I agree with hcarlton, that is absolutely ventricosa.

A very nice collection. I like the D. pulchella shot!

A very nice collection. I like the D. pulchella shot!

Thanks. Had a hard time getting a good shot with my phone. The hairs are so small they were hard to get in focus.

It's ventricosa, not ventrata. You do not get pitchers like that on any ventrata, nor leaves that linear.
I guess I have a ventricosa then...
SNKnf63l.jpg

mine ^
36310475133_890928f44f_z.jpg

Plant heathen's ^
ByHCNG7l.jpg

mine again^
N_ventricosa_2yr.jpg

nepenthes ventricosa as identified by ICPS

In my defence, Ventrata is a hybrid Ventricosa X Alata. Alata is often mis identified as ventrata, as mentioned on ICPS. http://cpphotofinder.com/nepenthes-alata-663.html
This further complicates things, as without specifics, it could be either ventricosa, ventrata, or alta. Alta and ventrata are more widely distributed (I got mine from home depot), which is why I would guess those two. Ventricosa pitchers tend to be more wide at the base as well, more so than the ventrata which is related.

Last edited:
No, MPX_78, you do not have a ventricosa, you have a ventrata; the leaves are visibly broader when the same angle is compared (and when only mature leaves are compared where ventricosa has parallel leaves and ventrata semi-obovate; young plants do not count) and the pitchers more slender (you can only compare type pitcher to type pitcher, mature pitchers look only marginally similar due to parentage); the pictures you posted define this perfectly, other than the young ventricosa showing immature pitchers that cannot be used as comparison here. And again, you are not correct: ventrata is the one misidentified as alata (which is a very, very uncommon species in cultivation; even graciliflora, which is the actual parent of the common "ventrata" like as your plant is, is not terribly prevalent in collections like ventricosa or "ventrata" are) and that is actually what the Photo Finder note is actually saying, not the other way around; it and ventricosa (here the ventricosa "red" which is the same form as one I grow) are the common ones, and only the upper pitchers on ventricosa (true uppers, not the wingless mature lowers) and even then often only in certain forms have broad, almost lowii-like bases. If you want a reliable difference present on most pitchers, ventricosa always possesses far wider peristomes and more pronounced ribs than "ventrata" and a broader, more rounded mouth, not always a broader base.

100% agreed with Hcarlton, couldnt have said it better myself. Just for an easier visual representation here is an N. ventricosa compared to an N. Ventrata

N. ventricosa:
ventricosa-red-pitcher-plant.jpg

N. Ventrata:
nepenthes_ventrata_lower_upper.jpg

You can clearly see the distinct differences in pitchers, and while very young plants could be difficult to tell apart, PlantHeathens is old enough to exhibit the almost horizontal, wide toothy peristomes you simply will never see on N. Ventrata.
(Note: these are not my photographs)

( this was written in a bad mood )
I had said in my defence to show the reasoning as to why I had come to the wrong conclusion, but I guess it's my fault for not making that clear.
I really do not appreciate being grandstanded twice in a row, nor do I appreciate your willingness to turn any tiny mistake I make into a formal argument. I did not even make an argument! I thought I had said that from just a single picture, without specific details of the leaf shape, a better angle, etc, it was hard for me to tell.(I guess that would be hard to see if you were thinking I would argue with you again. BTW, you did a pretty good job of dissecting my reasoning as if it was a counter argument)
Well, it's getting late, and I've wasted enough time staring at the computer for today. I don't really care what my plant even is anymore- it's not like I would trade it anyways. At this point I could care less about the plant and more whether or not I'll stay on this forum.

Ps:I was tired and angry due to non plant related obligations, please disregard this :blush:

Last edited:
I had said in my defence to show the reasoning as to why I had come to the wrong conclusion, but I guess it's my fault for not making that clear.
I really do not appreciate being grandstanded twice in a row, nor do I appreciate your willingness to turn any tiny mistake I make into a formal argument. I did not even make an argument! I thought I had said that from just a single picture, without specific details of the leaf shape, a better angle, etc, it was hard for me to tell.(I guess that would be hard to see if you were thinking I would argue with you again. BTW, you did a pretty good job of dissecting my reasoning as if it was a counter argument)
Well, it's getting late, and I've wasted enough time staring at the computer for today. I don't really care what my plant even is anymore- it's not like I would trade it anyways. At this point I could care less about the plant and more whether or not I'll stay on this forum.

Ps: Hcarlton, if you argue that I did not make it clear enough (which I have already expressed), do not expect a response. I am tired of this.

I believe Hcarlton only had educational intentions at heart, Ive seen him around the forums a lot and he never tries to embarass people. I also did not intend to cause offense, but was only trying to post some more definitive visual comparisons incase you still didn't see the difference between the two plants, I apologize if it seemed hostile, this was never my intention.

Obviously I cannot make your decision for you but I would atleast advise staying on the forums if you want a place to share your plants and learn more about them. The community here has helped me so much through my horicultural journey, I would've been shooting myself in the foot if I left the first time someone struck a chord with me (and believe me its happened more than a couple times. This place seems to bring out people's strong opinions, but its nothing a thick skin wont solve) Im sorry if you've had a bumpy introduction to the site, but from my many years being a member here the experience has been dramatically positive and Im incredibly glad I've been able to learn from the community here. Not only is it a vast wealth of information from a large collective of experienced growers, there are regular giveaways for new people trying to expand their collection, as well as the majority of the people here being friendly and helpful users.

I hope you can put this misunderstanding aside, as Id like to see you around the forums more, Im sure there is plenty we can learn from eachother. :beer:

Last edited:
I was kind of in a bad mood, and I guess it did come out pretty bad. I probably won't leave the forums any time soon- I just got notified that I'll have to be at school from 6:30 till 8:00 tomorrow. Sorry/Thank You. :angel:

Back