What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few photos

Just thought I would post a few photos of these little guys, who are "stealing" some floor space originally mean't for fish.

DSCN2435.jpg

DSCN2806.jpg

DSCN2067.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

Nice pictures, I love newts.
-Nick

Cute! I'm trying ti remember back to the days of working in a tropical fish wholesaler.... We used to sell Oregon & Fire Belly newts. This looks like the latter. Just don't get turned into one!
smile_m_32.gif

I did get turned into a newt, but I got better. Well, I think I'm better, but many preferred me as a newt. My wife hasn't stated an opinion.

Those are endangered here in Sweden.
But they are very nice...it grow up to 15-20 cm here :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 26 2005,6:22)]I did get turned into a newt, but I got better.  Well, I think I'm better, but many preferred me as a newt.  My wife hasn't stated an opinion.
Hey, somebody got it!

They dont look like the Firebellied newts My grandmother has in Upper newyork. But then again they could have been red spoted newts...

Cheers

the fire bellied newts here in canada look way different, i'm not sure how big they grow or if they live somewhere in canada in the wild but captive they look like this
essi1.jpg

I'm not up on my newts, but they look like either alpine(leaning toward this one) or crested. Gorgeous. I have always wanted these, but they are kind of pricey when I have seen them for sale.

Cheers,

Joe

honor_your_life: Thats a Chinese firebelly newt...Cynops orientalis. Have a few of those also.

The Griffin: These ones happen to be Southern crested newts(Triturus karelinii). Currently raising 8 which are soon to be a year old. My plans are to keep a pair or trio and find homes for the rest. A guy I know has subadult pairs available for $45 which compared to some other herps does not seem expensive. If you find someone with eggs you can get them for almost nothing but you've gotta do the waiting and raise them up. They also don't ask for much...just a cool spot, clean water, and food(worms etc.)

Some more recent photos.
DSCN4409.jpg

DSCN3972.jpg

DSCN3970.jpg

DSCN4346.jpg

What kind of food do you feed those? I had a couple a few years ago and they didn't eat the pellets or crickets. What do you use?
-Nick

redworms mainly. FD or frozen bloodworms occasionally but worms are much easier.

Back