What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3+ mystery plants thriving despite inexperienced grower.

So I bought a pitcher plant from a stall in the local farmer's market, as a sort of housewarming present to myself (My family and I recently moved). I kept the plant in the plastic pot I bought it in, with the sole addition of a water tray so it could water itself whenever I inevitably forgot it existed. I set it on the windowsill in the sun, occasionally gave it tap water (against the recommendation of the seller), and half expected the pitcher plant to die within a fortnight.
That was 7 months ago.
Now the tiny pot is overflowing with plants somehow. The original pitcher plant (some type of Sarracenia I believe) has sprouted several new pitchers, including 2 that are double the height of the others. There are also about a dozen Y-shaped possibly-sundew (Drosera?) sprouts that appeared about a month or 2 later. Finally, there are 2 stems with these teensy little yellow flowers that I'm pretty sure are completely different (maybe Utricularia). This isn't even counting the assortment of greenery hugging the dirt that I don't have a clue about.
Basically, I've been pretty lucky keeping these alive, and it's starting to look like they're going to stick around for longer than I thought. I want to get them a bigger pot, likely a couple planters, but I don't want to screw up whatever it is I'm doing right.
So, anyone know what exactly I have here? I want to look up more specific care instructions.
Thanks in advance!
PXL_20230425_052243495.jpgPXL_20230425_022632574.jpgPXL_20230425_052209318.jpgPXL_20230425_015532075.jpgPXL_20230425_052403136.jpg
More pictures can be provided if these aren't clear enough

The Sarracenia could be literally any hybrid. Something common to some hybrid they made. Most will suggest to not apply a name to it since it would be a guess. The Drosera is a binata form and the Utricularia looks like U. subulata. Either your tap water happens to have low TDS making it ok to use, or enough minerals have just not yet built up in the media to cause a problem- but will. All 3 of those plants can be transplanted into the typical 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite (make sure it's not miracle grow brand/that the ingredients says there is no fertilizer).

Looks like S. minor, or a variant .

It has minor in it, but this is most certainly not at all that species. Could be any number of the "Bug" series cultivars, or similar crosses, but as adnedarn said: it should not be labeled, unless it can be shown to be perfectly identical to some sort of known cultivar, because there are just too many possibilities, too many mislabeled or unlabeled plants floating around out there.

Most will suggest to not apply a name to it since it would be a guess.
I don't know, looks like a Steve to me ;)

For real though, one other thing I would mention is that the Sarracenia require a winter dormancy. Just a heads up in case it starts looking sad in a few months

If you are looking for more general information you will find it here: Growing Guides | ICPS and for your Sarracenia, more specifically here: Growing Sarracenia | ICPS. For more specific information and experiences of other growers you will find it here in the Terra Forums archives by doing searches.

'Sounds like you're a success with 3 different carnivorous plant genera (American pitcher plant, sundew and bladderwort.) Congratulations!

Nice pitcher form. It would be especially neat if it turns out to be the natural hybrid minor x purpurea, known as S. x swaniana. Maybe an expert could figure it out.

Ivan Snyder AKA the evil Dr. FrankenSnyder

It's definitely not x swaniana, not purely.

Back