What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 hour light

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I have heard several people discuss 24 hour light for sarrs for the first few years of life. Has anyone tried this for Darlingtonia?

I haven't tried that approach, but something tells me that 24/7 growth mode isn't a good idea. Plents need to both photosynthesize and respire. Wouldn't this approach be akin to a human being awake 24/7?

Bugweed is a big advocate of the 24/7 method for the first two years. He hasn't tried it with Darlingtonia though. Bugweed advocates warming the pots with a heat pad too. Darlingtonia may not like that. Or it actually tolerate the heat for the first two years. Who knows?

One way to find out. Anybody have new Darlingtonia seedlings they are willing to sacrifice?

See this thread.

I haven't tried that approach, but something tells me that 24/7 growth mode isn't a good idea. Plents need to both photosynthesize and respire. Wouldn't this approach be akin to a human being awake 24/7?

I had to set in a room with the lights on for 24 hrs and let me tell you at the end, I was not a very happy camper. So I feel plants are the same to. They need some darkness

Staying up for 72 hours straight takes a toll on ya :) BUT we aren't plants and it works for Sarracenia. I'd be concerned about the heat produced by 24 hours worth of lighting on a plant like Darlingtonia.

I just got 3 small pots of yearlings, I may put 1 with some yearling (and younger) sarrs that I am putting on 24/7. I will have to keep an eye on the temps, though. I was thinking of setting up a mini hydroponic set up in a 20 gal tank - water would constantly (or maybe regularly on a timer) be flushed through the cobra's pot via a small powerhead rig. I could even use it for the sarrs to keep their roots aerated. hmmmmm.

Back