What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
Hey i have theory that disproves December 21, 2012.(The day worlds is supposedly ending)
If it's the 21st in US, it will be 22 in another part of the world. So it would happen to the other side of the world like 12 hours earlier. Oh and i will be staying up all night with a friend(2012) and when it strikes midnight i want to scream then say nothing happened. lol

LOL. Ahahaha, that's just great. Points. You win them.

Haha, thanks. I'm glad someone understood.

I was about to pull a...
Rodney_Dangerfield.JPG

"whew, tough crowd"

Just because an ancient civilization predicts that we're all going to die doesn't mean it's true. If I had a penny for every time I've heard the "end of us in 2012" at school...

pennies2.jpg

... I'd have quite a bit of pennies.

Haha, thanks. I'm glad someone understood.

I was about to pull a...
Rodney_Dangerfield.JPG

"whew, tough crowd"

You always pull out the best pictures. xD

Just because an ancient civilization predicts that we're all going to die doesn't mean it's true.

Actually, I believe it was because of the Spaniards and the smallpox epidemic that stopped the Mayan's making their calendars. Or that's what I believe, anyway.

Actually, I believe it was because of the Spaniards and the smallpox epidemic that stopped the Mayan's making their calendars. Or that's what I believe, anyway.

I haven't heard that until now... interesting.

i-love-satan.jpg
awww soo cute :-))

2012 just represents the end of the 13th baktun (sp?) at which point the long count calendar, guess what, starts over at 1 and begins the whole cycle again. The Maya didnt have a linear concept of time everything is circular so at the end everything just starts over, its not the end of the world, things just start over. This represents a time of significant change in the Maya calendar, but not the end.

Oh, that makes much more sense.

Some person twisted the 2012 thing from the Mayans (which they actually didn't say) for publicity. They wanted people to be afraid, so the economy would get better with people buying stuff to protect themselves. Then another person (or the same) took that opportunity to create a ridiculous movie on 2012. Even the Mayans (or whats left of them) said that 2012 is not true. The only thing that will (or might) happen on the winter solstice of 2012 is the height of technology.

Ever listen to the 'coast to coast am' radio show? There are a lot of people who are sure that it will be a new beginning, a huge leap in human evolution, a spiritual awakening, etc etc. They are in for a disappointment.

I'm always amazed at this... honestly, I only ever plan for more that a month out at MOST. Those guys planned how many hundreds of years in advance. I would have lost interest LONG before they did. Rather than saying it will be the "end of the world" I think that more people should be saying, "Congratulations for planning so far past the downfall of your civilization! Look how far that kind of forward thinking got you!" or even, "Congratulations! Someone finaly decided to quit their dead-end job and got a LIFE!"

Or... maybe that's just me being biased against something...

Or... maybe that's just me being biased against something...
It's bias, against prophecy. I have it too! :D

I've got a book here called "The Ragged Edge of Science" by L sprague de Camp which has a great chapter called "So You Want to be A Prophet". Basically it explains how the whole prophet game works. Essentially if you make enough predictions eventually one will come true and there you go, you're a vindicated "for real" prophet!

The 2012 thing has been going in the New Age movement for years. Go to any occult/new age section at a Barnes and Noble and see how many 2012 type books you can find just by reading the spines.

2012 just represents the end of the 13th baktun (sp?) at which point the long count calendar, guess what, starts over at 1 and begins the whole cycle again. The Maya didnt have a linear concept of time everything is circular so at the end everything just starts over, its not the end of the world, things just start over. This represents a time of significant change in the Maya calendar, but not the end

well it signafies the re-making or the world giving a fresh start, i think thats how they came to the conclusion and the predictions could match other real world events.

actually watched 2012 last night at the theater......have to say the special affects are awesome but if yah know much of anything bout geology and the like its very hard to swallow.....the wife kept hitting me whenever i started muttering "that's bull shi...." :D

That is why theater and films require what is called "suspension of disbilief." ;P always makes me laugh in my acting classes to learn about this...

i know that.....most films ive got no problem.....had a hell of a time with this ones cause most the disasters they posed aint possible....the tsunami tipping over the ship.....the tidal wave that hits the Himalayas......got no problem with sitting back and buying a lil BS but this was stretching it alot.....

Haha, if you think this sucks your IQ, then you'd go brain dead on another forums I visit.

Alright, you got me hooked: post the link to the forum, gotta see this for myself:-O

the world's going to end, or at least humanity will, when some freak scientist goes and crosses an Amorphophallus Titanum and a vft B52 :p

the world's going to end, or at least humanity will, when some freak scientist goes and crosses an Amorphophallus Titanum and a vft B52 :p

OMG, now THAT would be a collector's specimen for SURE! :-)) (of course, the cage and high voltage tazers are required, but they don't tell you that when you go to pick one up from the local Home Depot)

I wonder who that Home Depot is run by, hmmm.... (Maybe my typical mad scientist!) *Muwahahaha!!! * wimpers

Back