What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$158 venusflytrap on ebay

• Thread starter cool85k5
  • Start date
*Has never paid 300 for a nep*

*Has never paid 300 for a nep*

*Pats on back*
Seriously. Not joking. GOod.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Either way, I am respectfully ejecting myself from this conversation because having a debate about nepenthes on a nepenthes fanatic dominated forum is like trying to convince people down south to take down their confederate flags.

Well who ever paid almost $200 dollars for a normal looking flytrap is just as crazy if not more than someone who pays $300 for a nepenthes.

Well who ever paid almost $200 dollars for a normal looking flytrap is just as crazy if not more than someone who pays $300 for a nepenthes.
Back on topic, for this particular trap, thats a very high price, but I would pay that much for one as unique as wacky or KMS or several other mutants that dont look the same as a bunch of others..

1 year for a flowering N. edwardsiana...

:-))

Hilarious.

LOL!!!! That is possibly the most ridiculous claim I have ever heard!

They do offer business class in high school, I took it and got a ninety eight...

Maybe you should try growing something other than a ventricosa before making claims about your Nepenthes growing prowess...

OK you know what.. Ill make that a 2-3 yr flowering one.. And with using other tc stats for other plants, that is beyond reasonable.

OK you know what.. Ill make that a 2-3 yr flowering one.. And with using other tc stats for other plants, that is beyond reasonable.

Yes, I agree.

LOL!!!! That is possibly the most ridiculous claim I have ever heard!

They do offer business class in high school, I took it and got a ninety eight...

Maybe you should try growing something other than a ventricosa before making claims about your Nepenthes growing prowess...

I never said I can grow neps with "prowess". I simply said it is more than feasible that they are being multiplied in large numbers and being released slowly because getting 200+ per plant for 10 pants is better than gettnig 20 for 100 plants. Lerss people to deal with and less work required. So before everyone jumps down my throat about me not growing neps, they should study tc and learn about some of the things its capable of. I bet you;d all have wet your jeans if I would have told you that I could make over 500,000 dionaea from one tiny chunk of a leaf before you knew what you do now.

It may sound hilarious but so did flying to the moon in the early 1900's... if we work at it by tweaking the genes and adding hormonal structures from a plant that can flower in 1 year then ya.. it most certainly is possible.

a 2-3 year old edwardsiana would be about 1" in diameter. How do you turn that into a several feet wide several meter tall plant?

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

It may sound hilarious but so did flying to the moon in the early 1900's... if we work at it by tweaking the genes and adding hormonal structures from a plant that can flower in 1 year then ya.. it most certainly is possible.

We are talking about current technology. I am sure it might be possible in 60 years though with our current advancements in gene technology.

a 2-3 year old edwardsiana would be about 1" in diameter. How do you turn that into a several feet wide several meter tall plant?

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

We are talking about current technology. I am sure it might be possible in 60 years though with our current advancements in gene technology.

An 8 month old dionaea is on avg smaller than a quarter. How do you turn that into a full sized 5'' per leaf flowering plant? Ideal conditions and nutrient/hormone combos.

it may seem impossible, but trust me when you have a stock to work with you learn things that people don't know. They call it "tricks of the trade". Stuff that you DONT let out into the public in order to maximize profits.

From a quarter to 5 inches in comparison from 1" to several meters? Also, vfts grow much faster than nepenthes.

Even so that is speculation of what is physically possible, not about what is actually happening.

If we're going to get into the business side of the argument, then if they really did have hoards of rare Nepenthes that they kept and released slowly then that would mean they wouldn't ever go out of stock.

It would be better to just keep them all for sale at 200 dollars all the time, you know? People would still buy them. The period of time that AW went before having any more edwardsiana to sell was quite a sufficient amount of time that had he actually had some back stocked, it wouldn't have made financial sense to not be accruing a profit during that time.

Anyway getting into this argument is literally one of the more ridiculous things I've done on this website. I'm out.

Nepenthes > Dionaea :p

If you go about tweaking the genes, it ain't an eddie anymore...

Dooms, at this point you are just talking conspiracy about the big vendors.

And also, you have never tc'd Nepenthes, you can talk all you want about flytraps, you can even call yourself an expert, but let the Nepenthes tissue culture experts like BigBella or Borneo log on and talk about their field of expertise.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

How do you compare a plant the size of my fist that is easy to cultivate to a plant that is taller than I am and is very difficult to cultivate?

If you go about tweaking the genes, it ain't an eddie anymore...

Dooms, at this point you are just talking conspiracy about the big vendors.

And also, you have never tc'd Nepenthes, you can talk all you want about flytraps, you can even call yourself an expert, but let the Nepenthes tissue culture experts like BigBella or Borneo log on and talk about their field of expertise.

I don't call myself a Dionaea expert. But trust me, I know some things about nepenthes culture that people would call blashphemy at this point. And NO i am not just talking to hear myself. I was simply trying to open peoples eyes to the fact that a lot of large nurseries have bigger stocks than you would think. Not believing so is an easy way to justify spending an enormous amount of $$$ on a plant though. And I get my info from people with decades of experience. So I am not talking from my own creations. And ON top of that, I never claimed anything I said to be 100% fact, but rather that it was more than feasible with the facts that ARE available at the moment. If anything I said came off as me trying to claim a 100% fact then I am clearing that up now. Just know that more amazing things have been done with plants.

But trust me, I know some things about nepenthes culture that people would call blashphemy at this point.

Like what? Can you give evidence to back up these statements?

Like what? Can you give evidence to back up these statements?

Honestly, I can't because these people are smart and have asked me NOT to mention anything until they do. I wouldn't want to blow up their spot and break our connection over a silly argument here. This is HOW I came to have such connections in such short time. I'm trustworthy. Everyone I've dealt with can back that up. But tbh idc how much you people spend on plants. It makes no difference to me. I was just trying to put my 2 cents in and you jumped in talking like you had gods books of nep tc facts at your desk

Ok... Let's say nurseries have big stocks of rare plants. Entirely possible. However, the idea that the plants are still hard to grow in tc or out of tc after a hobbyist gets them begs to differ....
If it was a big nursery's idea to rip people off like that they would need to contact everyone they sold the plant to, which would inhibit the plants from selling as rare or hard to propagate. Just a thought.

Back