What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0-0-3 Silicon Supplement For heat tolerance?

Its been getting hotter then usual where I live 105ºF+ and my A/C on my chamber is on nearly all day and the temps are still ok but they're definitely little higher then I'm able to keep them in the cooler months, 76-77 vs 78-79 now.

I've heard of using Dyna-Gro Pro-tekt silicon 0-0-3 to help with better heat tolerance. Has anyone tried this with their highland nepenthes? I'm wondering if this could give aid to those of use growing HL's in desert conditions. I've just got some in to try it out a few neps I have multiples of.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Jess

Last edited:
I love this product. I use it on everything whenever I don't have a silica source in the media. Orchids, antplants, Neps, etc. all grow much healthier as a result. It helps defend against pests as well, and resultingly I have cut down on my pesticide treatments significantly by paying attention to nutrition.

Temperate CPs are indifferent because they already have sand in their mixes. And of course, certain kinds of plants prefer to rely more on lignin/cellulose as a strengthener rather than silica. That means that not every plant is going to benefit from silica in the same way.

Of course, there are many things that build heat tolerance, but silica definitely helps as long as the rest of your growing conditions and nutrition are good.

Another caveat: the pH of this stuff is through the roof compared to what CPs like (~10). Don't go crazy. I've also fried some things like Equisetum at the higher range of the rate. Best to play it safe at 1/4 tsp per gal.

Last edited:
perfect, This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I can just add this to my maxsea mix. Thank you!

Back