What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Help meh, Help me!” Nep in danger!

• Thread starter Camden M
  • Start date
I made a post about this guy a little while ago on flytrap care forums. What’s going on with my nep? - FlyTrapCare Forums

Since then, I’ve seen the stem go brown! I can almost 100% say it’s not root or stem rot because I let him dry out between waterings.
I will say that humidity is usually in the 50-60’s.
DCB852FA-402A-4CE7-B7DB-95571F31D876.jpeg06D1B4F6-B479-438E-8AF5-4F645E71B784.jpeg1A597153-D22F-4B6A-8027-0FE7CAE63619.jpegA2790965-3409-4CC6-9B47-110A2855DC4D.jpeg12B75BE6-8346-4907-8E11-5BBA01F232AA.jpeg

I'm probably just not reading it right, but does your temperature gauge indicate that it saw a max of 120F?

No, you read that right. I had the gauge outside this summer. Hottest temp on record for this area.

I have both in a humidity tank now.

I will defer to others, but my gut reaction is that it looks like it is lacking moisture in it's leaves. The stem going brown isn't a major concern, as they naturally do that as older leaves die off and it undergoes lignification. With that being said, the leaves don't look very happy. I'd bag it (as long as it doesn't get overly hot in the bag) and keep the media damp, but not wet as you do. It sounds like your watering schedule is already close to this, I'd just caution against letting it completely dry out in between waterings. Hoping someone with a bit more Nep expertise can weigh in!

The leaves and plant generally looking dried out despite being watered and in high humidity makes it seem like some root damage has happened to your plant. I've recieved a few plants like that, that are just not very healthy after arrival and its a coin toss on whether the plant is strong enough to pull through or die before it can repair itself. Nothing to do but continue to provide stable conditions.

Should I be prepared to take a cutting??? It looked perfectly healthy when it arrived :?

I'd just continue nursing it as-is. A cuttign would only stress it further/limit access to water. Light+Humidity can hopefully get it on its feet!

Back