What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zone 7 Outdoor Choices

Hello everyone,
My name is Jeff. In college, CP's were my hobby. I still have a couple of Asian pitcher plants left on my window sill that are going great. But I left the rest of my collection to a friend after school. I think my last post on this forum was 2005!

Now I am a homeowner and I am looking at putting in a deck. I want to build terracing into the side of the deck (instead of a lattice) that, essentially be, multiple 24inchx12inch bog gardens. I need some advice.

I live in Central Delaware (Zone 7) and the terracing would be south facing (6-8 hours of direct sun).

I am going to make the trays removable. So if it gets real cold for a week or two, I can move the plants into my garage.

What kind of soil mixture can I use to get a good amount of diversity?

What plants would be a good choice? To make things easier, I would prefer to have an entire tray of similar climate requirements (so I don't have to dig anything else) but I don't mind having trays that have different requirements.

Where is a good place to get plants? I used to work with individual collectors, but that was 9 years ago. I can't remember who they were.

Thanks.
Jeff

Most Sarracenia species and hybrids will work just fine as well as any of the temperate Drosera species, Dionaea, Pinguicula grandiflora, bog orchids and many other associate bog plants.

I'm located outside Philadelphia in zone 6b, and kept dews, Sarrs and vfts for a couple years (including last winter) in above ground half barrels with no protection other than being against a south facing brick wall. Last yesr a few of the Sarrs took a big hit and took all season to recover. The vfts didn't even blink. I was using a roughly 50/50 mix of silica sand and peat moss. This past spring I installed an inground bog. Plants are available online, and "death cubes" those little fly traps in the pots with the clear plastic covers. Not the best source, but if you know how to tell a healthy plant they can be a convenient way to get plants. ISeveral of my plants were acquired that way, including a couple of very nice Sarracenia. Come spring lots of stuff will be available from members here, both in trade and as outright giveaways. Plus the NASC auction held on the forum is also a great option. You definitely picked the wrong time to look, but it's a great time to plan!

I'd like to "Second" all of the posts above me. I've got nothing else to say other than it sounds like a wonderful project. I do hope you post lots of pics once you start collecting the materials and begin construction.

Thanks.
I will check back when we are getting closer to the spring. The deck doesn't even exist yet except in my brain! Haha.
Last winter was pretty hard. Usually our Delaware winters do not sustain temperatures below 30 for weeks at a time. Days, yes and we get hard frosts. I don't mind mulching for a little added protection.
If anyone is interested, I could prep some Euphorbia milii cuttings that would have roots and be ready for a spring trade. I could also figure out what Nep I have and prep a cutting of that.

Good idea to plan it now. My climate is not as reliable as yours (6a-6b, but I have even Sarracenia psittacina, D.californica,, Dionaea and Drosera binata for the last 10 years outside in bogs at my friends and mine.

S. leucophylla and hybrids from that sometimes get killed if not protected. At the moment I try some seed grown S. minor and some true leucophylla outside. But I will protect them somewhat.

Last winter was exceptionally mild and this one might be not a special cold one here.
Interesting moss species and some Orchids would be another highlight, I have in my bog.

Maybe you could profit from my patchwork bog where I have all my outdoor plants.
Good idea to plan it now. My climate is not as reliable as yours (6a-6b, but I have even Sarracenia psittacina, D.californica,, Dionaea and Drosera binata for the last 10 years outside in bogs at my friends and mine.

S. leucophylla and hybrids from that sometimes get killed if not protected. At the moment I try some seed grown S. minor and some true leucophylla outside. But I will protect them somewhat.

Last winter was exceptionally mild and this one might be not a special cold one here.
Interesting moss species and some Orchids would be another highlight, I have in my bog.
Maybe you could profit from my patchwork bog where I have all my outdoor plants.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...jointed-to-one-natural-looking-extendable-bog

Last edited:
just following the rest... my outdoor bog in zone 6a (Cincinnati area) weathered through this past horrible winter just fine with several sheets for wind protection. You should be fine too. Or you could check out

http://zone6b.wordpress.com/

Thank you everyone. I will start doing some cutting soon so I have some trade material and I don't feel like I am mooching! Haha

Back