What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young d.adelae plants

Cindy

Staff member
...but as you can see I will HAVE to repot soon.

adelae1.jpg
A single plant in a plastic container

adelae2.jpg
Two plants in a plastic container

adelaeroot1.jpg
Root

adelaeroot2.jpg
Root

I haven't found a better way of growing them than this because using LFS as a medium nearly killed them.

Singapore is different from the rest of the world, I know...  
smile_m_32.gif

How should I go about minimising the damage since D.adelae is fussy with repotting?
confused.gif

Looks fine to me. Why repot? By the way, that looks like a cool planting method. I may have to try that.

smile.gif

I normally do and advise moving plants and as much media as possible, so as to not disturb the roots, as much as possible, thus avoiding shock. But if the media is the problem, then I would go with washing the media off; putting the plant in the new container with its media; and overfilling that container with water, allowing it to evaporate and the plant(s) to nestle into their new media. They don't seem any worse for the wear when being in water for several days, since I had to do that to drowns aphids.

I'm not sure I see the reason why you think you should repot them...I say leave them where they are. They look very happy!

By the way, is that perlite you have them potted in?

The media looks a bit too big to be perlite,it looks like some kind of stone.In the 3rd pic it does look like theres 2 little pieces of perlite though.Then again I could be wrong.

Its perlite alright...or is it? Let me go check the grade of perlite they sell here...

Nice to see you like eating Ferrero Roche as well. Although some growers buy the box just for their plants.

Thanks, guys.

It is perlite. And it is a Ferrero Roche box.
smile.gif
But I don't eat the snack. I bought it for my students and kept the empty boxes for my plants.
smile_n_32.gif

Anyway, I have decided to keep most of the plants the way they are for the time being. The reason for wanting to repot them is that this method of growing will eventually turn the container green with algae. The algae competes with the plants' roots for oxygen and the plants will not do as well by then.

I have repotted one small D.adelae in 50% perlite and 50% LFS. Hopefully that would work as a more airy mix.

Are those in pure perlite at the top?

Sorry, tink...what do you mean? *scratches head*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Aug. 20 2005,5:01)]Sorry, tink...what do you mean? *scratches head*
Cindy, I don't see where she wrote *scratches head* It must have been edited out. But the phrase is an idiom for expressing disbelief or confusion, either as sincere not understanding or sarcasm. I'm scratching my head on this one because I sincerely don't know what this was in reference.

Getting back to the plant in question, I'm not convinced that LFS has been bad for them. It could be correlation, as opposed to causality. LFS is very beneficial. Tamlin has mentioned its antisceptic qualities. This species is also notorious for "playing 'possum" in that it dies or appears to have died, without any discernible reason. One teen has said that this plant hates him and another describes it as evil. I have had one do that and I waited weeks for it to straighten out. I tossed and then observed that its roots were still intact. I think I was being too hasty. Pinguiculaman stated that the growing conditions isn't optimum when this behavior occurs, but I can't remember why.

im confused sorry..mmm... Is lfs bad?, what is perlite?, i have all mi droseras in 50% dead sphangnum and 50% silica sand, the pinguicula and diona in 90% dead sphangnum and 10% silica sand, i hope in the next spring get lfs and some more sand, but is bad?, sorry but i need to know what us say, see ya!.

smile.gif
It was I who scratched my head.

Jimscott, I suspect the LFS because it gets mouldy easily. And although it is 100% New Zealand LFS, live sphagnum does not grow out of it. Only algae and the occasionally fern.
confused.gif

The latest perlite:LFS mix used has fungicide. And the plants (I decided for two instead of one) repotted are doing well so far. The last time I repotted, the plants lost their dew overnight. Can't be the humidity 'cos...well, it's Singapore.
smile_m_32.gif

oh my... im more confused, please talk with more comon words and explain me!, im confusing more!.

Hmm.. I was wondering. That in your pictures it looks like your small sundews are in nothing but perlite. Is this correct? Just wondering, never tried that growing tech. Did you start with small plantlets, roots, or leave cuttings?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Aug. 21 2005,10:37)]
smile.gif
 It was I who scratched my head.

Jimscott, I suspect the LFS because it gets mouldy easily. And although it is 100% New Zealand LFS, live sphagnum does not grow out of it. Only algae and the occasionally fern.  
confused.gif

The latest perlite:LFS mix used has fungicide. And the plants (I decided for two instead of one) repotted are doing well so far. The last time I repotted, the plants lost their dew overnight. Can't be the humidity 'cos...well, it's Singapore.  
smile_m_32.gif
Ah, I see.

We have differing experiences with LFS, both with the dried and live. I only rarely see mold and given enough time (a few months), it becomes live. Fern? I get what someone called sedge.

Is it possible that the loss of dew was from mild shock from being repotted? Were the roots unintentionally disturbed? Once I "bumped" a D. scorpiodes and the next day the plant died. Now THAT's sensitive!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tink @ Aug. 22 2005,1:28)]Hmm.. I was wondering. That in your pictures it looks like your small sundews are in nothing but perlite. Is this correct? Just wondering, never tried that growing tech. Did you start with small plantlets, roots, or leave cuttings?
Hi tink, the young sundews are only in pure perlite. Nothing else. I started with root cuttings of D.adelae, buried under live sphagnum moss. Live sphagnum grows real slow here so the plantlets do not get suffocated. Not a suitable method in the long run for sundews because there is no nutrients in the medium.

I find that way of growing butterworts very helpful here in Singapore where the climate is very humid. The medium is extremely airy and the plants are less prone to root rot. I also use perlite for the rooting of Nepenthes cuttings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Windplant @ Aug. 21 2005,1:09)]im confused sorry..mmm... Is lfs bad?, what is perlite?, i have all mi droseras in 50% dead sphangnum and 50% silica sand, the pinguicula and diona in 90% dead sphangnum and 10% silica sand, i hope in the next spring get lfs and some more sand, but is bad?, sorry but i need to know what us say, see ya!.
Windplant,

perlite - mineral rock expanded under high temperature; very light; contains no mineral salts

lfs is not bad. Just that where I am, the climate is very humid. Leather bags and shoes left alone will grow mouldy in 2 weeks!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
So, I have to use a little fungicide to water a newly repotted D.adelae.

Btw, both repotted plants are doing very well. No loss of dew and seems to be putting out new leaves! Yippee!

Back