What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yay

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I know to most people it sounds pretty boring but..........
I finally found a retailer of live lichens. Not the dried/dyed crap and not reindeer moss (a lichen). It's a place that sells science kits on a college level. They also sell various Bacterias, Fungi, Algaes, Protazoas, Euglenas, Amoebas. This all ties into my chamber I am still working on.

Swords,
Man, the scale/crust lichens are a pain to establish. I am working on putting together the Algaes and Fungi to form their own Lichens in my chamber as their symbiosis instead of boughten "samples". A most complex undertaking for a chamber but I insist this will be a masterpeice and totally self sufficient by the time all is established. If anyone has any info on this or where to find these materials or anything relevant to this, it would be much appreciated.

Joe

Awesome! I'm glad you found what you were looking for:;): *Niki*

yay!

though I would like to lodge a complaint about your sig.... everytime I see neon green now I hear Kenny Rodgers!

(I'm joking, I'm joking! though I have my mother singing it now too!)
smile_n_32.gif

Hey, it's a good song and it is a life lesson. Neon green, black and reflective material (chrome, silver, etc...) are my favorite colors. Are you telling me you think of me?
smile_m_32.gif
( Now I'm kidding)

Joe

Your neon green siggy says "SUPER IMPOSED HOP3", what does that mean exactly?

Also, what's the URL of the site that sells lichens?

Cheers, Troy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They also sell various Bacterias, Fungi, Algaes, Protazoas, Euglenas, Amoebas. This all ties into my chamber I am still working on.
AAAaaahhhh!
the horror! lol I'm kind of a grammar/spelling freak...
fungi, bacteria, and algae are all plural. fungus, bacterium, and alga are the singular.
and I think it should be protozoans and euglena. I'm not sure what the singular for euglena is... and it's amoebae
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Your neon green siggy says "SUPER IMPOSED HOP3", what does that mean exactly?
it says SUPERiMPOSEDHOPE. (know how some people write the E like a backwards 3?

Hey Joe,
I saw a book in Borders today--up your alley, I think. You probably know about it or have it, but for others it is:
'Moss Gardening: Including Lichens, Liverworts and Other Miniatures', by George Schenk. It seemed like a decent book, but I have no idea really.
Joe

oh... I haven't read the whole handbook and frankly I don't even remember what it says but when I used to be really into byrophytes (I go through cycles [yeah yeah... ha ha so funny] about what i'm obssesed about. it has to do a lot with seasons... byrophytes, flowers, moths, butterflies, microscopy, passionflowers, etc... it's fun
smile.gif
. *sigh*... I love nature.)
I've grown some mosses, liverworts, and I think one hornwort but I was never sure if it was or not. kind of weird. some of them even grew gametophytes
smile.gif
I also had some ferns in there and even some millipedes, a frog, wild violets, spiders, etc... it was really cool. kind of like a mini world in a plastic box.
umm.. yeah so anyway...
main site
you can go there and then go to resources, downloads, moss grower's handbook.  I don't know... you might like it. If I remember right then there are also some pictures and other stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 09 2005,10:19)]umm.. yeah so anyway...
main site
you can go there and then go to resources, downloads, moss grower's handbook.  I don't know... you might like it. If I remember right then there are also some pictures and other stuff.
Very interesting site AlphaWolf. This is not my area of interest except that I recently obtained a piece of amber with two flowers and a bryophyte inclusion: a very pretty piece.

I went to this site, and here is a blurb from doing a search for 'bryophytes in amber':
"Bryophyte specimens preserved in amber consist of little more than impressions and there is very little tissue present. Since amber is not soluble, and is too brittle to cut, preparation of amber for study usually involves grinding and polishing to provide thin sections and smooth surfaces."

When I look at, it looks like more than an impression. I'll put it under a microscope, and let you know.
Thanks,
Joe

cool! can you take micrographs? I'd sure like to see them.

That's great man, could you PM the link to me?
I'd love to page around and see what they have for sale.

That Moss Gardening book is pretty good but If you wanted a more serious study on Lichens, there's a great big book (at most borders and barnes & noble) the Lichens of North America that's a book! It's a weighty and pricey volume but definately the one to get for stuff you'll find creeping along in our forests. There's an Encyclopaedia of Bryophytes too but I Missed my chance to get that one. I hate buying a book I can't page through before purchasing.

I can't wait to see your tank!
smile.gif

oh that's right! lichens...
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljan98.htm#soredia.gif (warning: takes forever to load!)
that site (waynesword) rocks. just go to index to see all of the articles. some long, some short, but 90% of them very informative. tons of pictures too.
just remember: kingdom "monera" has now been split into eubacteria and archae. so there are SIX kingdoms of life! not just one.
lol... i'm the link master!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 09 2005,10:36)]cool! can you take micrographs? I'd sure like to see them.
I wish I could AW (AlphaWolf is better that BryophyteBoy), but I don't have the equipment to do that.  I will tell you that I just put it under 40X magnification and it sure does look like more than an impression.  But when I bumped the magnification, I could not detect cells on either the bryophyte or on the flower petals.  The stamen looked really cool on the flowers though.  The problem is that unless you can do thin sections, and have cellular material preserved, the depth of a 1/2" deep piece of amber makes resolution tough.  Sorry to let you down on micropics guys.

lol I just stick the lens of my camera really close to the eye piece. you get a really sucky version but it's better than nothing.

lol... bryophyteboy... nature boy would be better. BryophyteBoy is didcriminating against all the other nature things I love :p
I chose TheAlphaWolf just because it sounded cool... it's kind of a long story. my name evolved
smile.gif

i have some lichen growing on the sides of my old tank after it was outdoors for a bit it musty have esteblished

Hey folks,
AW, yeah, I don't pay as much attention to grammar on these things since I wouldn't consider my self a hobbyist of them. More like I involve them as part of my insistance on a fully self sustaining environment.

The link is Lichens and stuff

I had that book but some POS stole it from me. Hmmm.....what is the world coming to when a book of moss is not safe from theives?
confused.gif
It is a very good jump into the hobby of collecting these things and for interested bonsai folks too. The guy has like 4 different houses in different parts of the world just to have different native mosses around his homes.

I'll have to check out the links yet, very busy day at work. It is nearing completion, but not quite yet done. BTW my Tillandsia are blooming for like 2 months now, each flower staying for a good week.

I really want these scale lichens to take hold but they are stubborn. Yet I too am persistant, on a good note they are no longer washing away with rain (artificial rain) rather they are staying put so I do not mess with them and hope it means they arebeginning to hold on.

JBL,
AW is right, it is just an intentional misspell of my name - it too is evolving. It started as lowercase correctly spelled and has changed a couple times since. THE MOTH IS SPREADING ITS WINGS!

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 10 2005,12:53)]JBL,
AW is right, it is just an intentional misspell of my name - it too is evolving. It started as lowercase correctly spelled and has changed a couple times since. THE MOTH IS SPREADING ITS WINGS!

Joe
Ah, that wasn't me (JBL) commenting on the spelling. I would never comment about that for someone who screams "THE MOTH IS SPREADING ITS WINGS"--reminds me too much of a book and movie...
smile_m_32.gif

I dont see why u go through such a big trouble. Lichen are sensetive to air polution blah blah...

In my opinion the easiest way to get lichen in your outdoor landscape is to plant certain trees of wich's bark lichen seem expecialy fond of. Our native Yellowwood (Cladrastis kentukea, syn. C. lutea)  bark in particular is smooth and very often coverd with attractive lichens, on both planted and wild specimens.
clkeb.jpg
Some lichen on that bark i have seen nowhere else.  Also zone 7 south i frewuently see lots of lichens on sweetleaf trees also. The sprice/fir forests of the appalacians contain many rare lichen and moss species that grow only on those trees, along with endangerd insects like the spruce-fir moss spider (a close reltive of the tarantula) that live amoungstthe lichen. If u ever visit those areas leave them be but they are very interesting

IS0332_1m.jpg
Only two populations left Info on this very rare creature

Yellowwood.jpg

A specimen of the uncommon yellowood in bloom

One lichen around here is cool. it's blue green and looks like a beard or a weird tillandsia. theres tons of it and it can get pretty big (long)

it's not spanish moss is it? (spanish moss isn't moss....nor lichen. it's a tillandsia)

Back