What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YAY...or NAY?

glider14

Always a newbie
i have a D. pulchella...and its sending up a flower stalk...? i thought they did this in the spring! its just now finally getting over the fact that i damaged its roots without knowing how delicate they were. this stalk is TINY! like a hair with a bump!! its funny because i just noticed it today and didnt see it yesterday.... anyways is it ok to keep on? how big is the flower? is it scented? how long do they last?...seed?
Alex

man...it grows fast! its alredy double in height. about 1 cm now maby a bit more. anyone there?
Alex

While I don't have any first hand experience with D. pulchella, I do with D. nitidula x pulchella. I'd say that it's probably alright to just let it grow. D. pulchella does produce seed and has flowers, I believe, that can vary in color from red, orange, and white. I'm not sure if it has a scent. I've never noticed D. nitidula x pulchella having a scent but then again I've never really stuck my nose that close. I say YAY!

Speaking of damaged roots, my border collie decided it would be fun to chew up the pot I was growing 20 or 30 D. nitidula x pulchella in. I managed to rescue 10 or so plants with little to no roots attached. And to my surprise, they are coming back quite nicely. I was certain they were going to die. I guess this hybrid is a little more robust than I thought.

Goodluck,
Chris

thanks Chris! ill let it bloom and see what happens.
Alex

The flowers are about the size of the plants, usually little bit smaller. The flower will only open on a sunny day and are only open for one day. The flower normally have metallic sheen and is one of the nicest of the pygmy sundew. They normally do not self seed.

Back