What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X-mas cactus flower pics

My X-mas cactus that I bought maybe two years ago decided to flower a little early this year, prolly cause it was outside in 50 degree weather.

xmascactus1.jpg

xmascactus2.jpg

-Ben

Flower induction is caused by lots of factors in the Thanksgiving/Christmas cactus. Day length mostly but a good and thourogh dry spell will speed things up too. Congrats, they look nice !

ive found temps have more to do with them than anything. the ones at my moms house out in her unheated den are generally blooming from now sometimes through May during a year with a cool spring. Halloween through the first of April is normal though.

I have a christmas cactus that my grandmother gave me almost thirty years ago. it never bloomed for me until the year she died. it had hundreds of blooms that year, and hasn't bloomed since. her way of telling me she was alright i guess. i love you grandma
smile.gif

Awwww. I'm really sorry of your loss, but it's a really good story that you can tell your children.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jack @ Oct. 13 2006,9:27)]I have a christmas cactus that my grandmother gave me almost thirty years ago. it never bloomed for me until the year she died. it had hundreds of blooms that year, and hasn't bloomed since. her way of telling me she was alright i guess. i love you grandma
smile.gif
i just lost my great grandmother on sunday. i had the honor of being her pall-bearer. she was very close to my family. she had the humor to give us a cup with soil and a mystery seed. turned out that the seed was a dandelion with the fluff cut off. it made us all laugh. im sorry to hear about your loss.
Alex

yes, I think that we all know what you're feeling.

sorry glider for your loss, my grandmother died several years ago so the loss is more tolerable, though i miss her very much. yours sounds like a very special person, always rember that. Jack

You know what's weird? When my grandma died my mother asked for a sign that she was at peace.

The next day the phone, which was on the table, was strung across the room pointing to a peace lily. The dog couldn't have messed with the phone because she was too short and fat to jump up, grab the phone, and just happen to put it pointing at the lily.

Back