What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wrong soil used?

HI everyone
I got my flytap a while ago and it seemed to be doing ok. There seemed to be no room for new traps so i repotted it. Thing is i used normal compost from the garden centre. About a week after that the traps started to go black, yellow and die off. There have been no new traps since then, its tried to put some ouf but the leaves are a lot thinner than normal and dont grow straight. I repotted it again into ericacious soil, one for lime hating plants about 3 weeks ago but its not showing any signs of improvement/! :eek:( Can anyone suggest anything i can do to help it get better and also where i can buy plants online :(im in the UK) please mail me if u can help! its missjiggy23@hotmail.com
thanks!!

I have mailed you. if you're in the UK try out the UK CPforum too:cpforum
also, for good growing advice the ICPS is useful:ICPS
I usually have spare plants available most of the time.

Please read the care sheet on VFT'S offered on this site;
then you can't go wrong.
http://www.petflytrap.com/vftcare.html
smile.gif

Missjiggy23,  welcome to the Forums!
  Unless the ericacious soil is sphagnum peatmoss and free of fertilizers then that is your problem.  VFTs grow in a nutrient poor soil and are easily damaged by fertilizers.  While VFTs don't usually need transplanted until their roots start coming out of the pot, the continued contact with the nutrients will continue to kill the roots.  Canadian sphagnum peat moss (or New Zealand) mixed with perlite or washed silica sand 1:1 is the most common mix used.

thanks for the answers :eek:) Hmm well like i said before tihs is my first plant and not totally sure on what im doing yet! How can i get the spagnum and perlite? I stay in the uk so im not sure if its easy for me to get it or not.

I think your best bet for finding a source in the UK would be to check with the people on the CP forum that gardenofeden gave you.  They seem like a pretty good bunch and since a lot of them live in the UK they'll be able to give you tips for your local conditions.  Quickest way to get there is to click on gardenofeden's underlined cpforum link.  You might recognize a few names from here
biggrin.gif

Back